Publications: Corporate documents and publications
A Year in Review 2019/20
The demand for Cawthron’s research and commercial capability has been at unprecedented levels, which is reflected in our growth in people, sites and revenue. Over the 2018/19 year we welcomed 50 new people and we now work across four sites in Nelson, including at our purpose-built Cawthron Aquaculture Park based at Glenduan.
It is our independent, trusted expertise and ability to be at the forefront of growing global markets such as algae and seafood safety, that enabled Cawthron to be considered for, and granted funding from the government’s Provincial Development Fund in April 2019. This announcement of $6m will enable Cawthron to proceed with its National Algae Research Centre, with construction expected to commence by mid-2020.
Some of our key highlights from 2018/19 include:
- 275 employees made up of 50 percent female and 50 percent male from 26 different countries
- 84 percent of Cawthron staff highly engaged in their work, substantially above global benchmarks
- 50 new staff members welcomed to Cawthron
- Our science excellence recognised through 115 publications this year
- New world-leading Finfish Research Facility opened at Cawthron Aquaculture Park in October 2018
- $630k invested into our people and capability
- $330k available for community initiatives in the Nelson Tasman region from the Cawthron Trust Board
- $16m in wages into the Nelson Tasman economy
Cawthron’s vision is to be the most sought-after scientific research institute in the world in the areas we operate in, and we will achieve this through science excellence and early identification of opportunities to support market and environmental needs.
Cawthron acknowledges the support of our many partners and clients. We focus on forming strong and lasting partnerships with industries and research organisations. These partnerships ensure our research has line-of-sight to the market and provides our industry partners with world-class science and technological advancements.
We are proud of the positive difference Cawthron makes to New Zealand’s economy and our environment, and we look forward to an exciting future.