- MSc. University of Canterbury, 1995
- BSc. University of Canterbury, 1993
Role at Cawthron
Karen is a freshwater scientist in the Coastal and Freshwater Group, whose main area of expertise is freshwater macroinvertebrate ecology. Her projects relate mainly to biological monitoring and assessments of environmental effects, including land use.
Karen manages the freshwater laboratory and has expertise in freshwater macroinvertebrate identification. She is also involved in freshwater research conducted at Cawthron, including benthic and drifting invertebrate ecology and trout bioenergetics foraging modelling.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Benthic macroinvertebrate ecology
- Aquatic invertebrate drift behaviour and ecology
- Aquatic algae and invertebrate relationships
- Freshwater invertebrate taxonomy
- Biological monitoring
- Freshwater ecological impact assessment
- New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society
- New Zealand Entomological Society
- Hayes JW, Goodwin E, Shearer KA and Kelly L 2016. Can WUA correctly predict the flow requirements of drift-feeding trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. Volume 145, Issue 3, 2016. Pages 589-609.
- Dowle E, Pochon X, Banks JC, Shearer KA and Wood SA 2016. Targeted gene enrichment and high throughput sequencing for environmental biomonitoring: a case study using freshwater macroinvertebrates. Molecular Ecology Resources. Volume 16, Issue 5. Pages 1240-1254.
- Shearer KA and Atalah J 2015. Influence of the Taharua River on the upper Mohaka River food. Prepared for Hawke’s Bay Regional Council. 27 pages plus appendices.
- Shearer KA, Hayes JW, Jowett IG and Olsen DA 2015. Habitat suitability curves for benthic macroinvertebrates from a small New Zealand river. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. Published online 21 Jan 2015.
- Shearer KA 2015. Monitoring of ecological effects of CMA application to roads: 2015 pre-winter survey. Cawthron Report 2714. 15 pages plus appendix. Prepared for Nelson City Council.
- Hayes JW, Shearer KA, Goodwin E, Allen CA, Olsen DA and Jowett IG 2014. Test of a benthic macroinvertebrate habitat – flow time series model incorporating disturbance and recovery processes. Rivers, Research and Applications. Article first published online: 14 May 2014.
- Wagenhoff A and Shearer KA 2014. Assessment of ammonia effects on the Wairoro Stream fauna in the vicinity of the Kaikohe WWTP. Prepared for Far North District Council. 29 pages plus appendices.
- Shearer KA 2014. Monitoring of ecological effects of CMA application to roads: 2014 pre-winter survey. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 12 pages plus appendix.
- Shearer KA and Quarterman AJ 2014. Biomonitoring of Westland Milk Products' discharge into the Hokitika River 2014. Prepared for Westland Milk Products. 19 pages plus appendices.
- Wood SA, Shearer KA and Clapcott JE 2014. Advice on a monitoring programme to assess the ecological effects of benthic cyanobacteria on macroinvertebrate communities. Prepared for Horizons Regional Council. 31 pages plus appendices.
- Allen C, Holmes R and Shearer KA 2013. The impact of the Maitai Dam on river health relative to other catchment pressures: A review. Cawthron Report 2371. Prepared for Nelson City Council.
- Kelly D and Shearer KA 2013. Maitai Reservoir and North Branch habitat survey 2013. Cawthron Report 2359. 49 pages plus appendices. Prepared for Nelson City Council.
- Shearer KA 2013. Analysing benthic macroinvertebrate size structure data. Prepared for Hawkes Bay Regional Council. 22 pages plus appendices.
- Shearer KA 2013. Assessment of effects of ammonia on fauna in the Waitaha Stream in the vicinity of the AICA stormwater discharge. Prepared for AICA Koygo NZ Ltd. 17 pages.
- Young RG, Allen C, Shearer KA, Doehring KAM, Berkett N and Holmes R 2013. Ruataniwha water storage scheme - Aquatic ecology assessment of effects. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company Limited. Cawthron Report 2307. 195 pages plus appendices.
- Shearer KA and Young RG 2011. Influences of geology and land use on macroinvertebrate communities across the Motueka River catchment, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 35, 437-454.
- Shearer KA 2011. Cumulative effect of cattle grazing on the Acheron river, Molesworth Station. Prepared for Department of Conservation. Cawthron Report 1947. 44 pages.
- Shearer KA and Hayes JW 2010. Invertebrate drift and trout growth potential in the Taharua and Upper Mohaka Rivers: an investigation of effects of dairy farming across three seasons. Cawthron Report 1832. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Council and Hawke's Bay Fish & Game. 54 pages plus appendices.
- Shearer KA 2010. Macroinvertebrate survey of Tutaekuri River in the vicinity of Redclyffe landfill. Cawthron Report 1765. 16 pages. Prepared for Napier City Council.
- Shearer KA and Hayes JW 2007. Invertebrate drift and trout growth potential in Didymo (Didymosphenia geminata) affected reaches of the Mararoa and Oreti Rivers: April and August 2006. Cawthron Report 1214. Prepared for Biosecurity New Zealand. 73 pages.
- Shearer KA 2007. Ecological effect of Seddon sewage discharge and assessment of effects in relation to the Marlborough District Council water quality plan. Cawthron Report 1294. Prepared for Marlborough District Council. 61 pages plus appendices.
- Young RG, Keeley N, Shearer KA and Crowe ALM 2004. Impacts of diquat herbicide and mechanical excavation on spring fed drains in Marlborough. Science for Conservation 240. Department of Conservation, Wellington. 50 pages.
- Hughes NF, Hayes JW, Shearer KA and Young RG 2003. Testing a model of drift-feeding using a 3D videography of wild brown trout in a New Zealand river. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60: 1462-1476.
- Shearer KA, Stark JD, Hayes JW and Young RG 2003. Relationships between drifting and benthic invertebrates in three New Zealand rivers: implications for drift-feeding fish. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 37: 809-820.
- Shearer KA, Hayes JW and Stark JD 2002. Temporal and spatial quantification of aquatic invertebrate drift in the Maruia River, South Island, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. 36: 529-536.
- Stark JD, Shearer KA and Hayes JW 2002. Are aquatic invertebrate drift densities uniform? Implications for salmonid foraging models. Verhandlungen Internationalen Vereinigung für theoretische und angewandte Limnologie 28: 988-991.
- Young RG, Harding JS, Strickland RR, Stark JD, Shearer KA and Hayes JW 2000. Cobb power scheme resource consent renewal 2000/2001: Water quality, aquatic habitat and fisheries. Cawthron Report 554. Prepared for TransAlta New Zealand Ltd. 131 pages plus appendices.
- Hayes JW, Stark JD and Shearer KA 2000. Development and test of a whole lifetime foraging and bioenergetics model for drift-feeding brown trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129: 315- 332.