- PhD (Biochemistry). University of Otago, 2013
- BSc (Hons, Microbiology/Zoology). University of Otago, 1972
Role at Cawthron
Lincoln is a research scientist focusing on marine ecosystem research. He is also called on to consult with the New Zealand aquaculture industry, public health protection authorities and seafood export regulatory authorities.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Phytoplankton systematics
- Harmful algal bloom ecology and physiology
- Marine biotoxin surveillance and analysis
- Shellfish biochemistry and physiology
- Environmental effects of aquaculture
- Biosecurity and biogeochemical processes in coastal environments
- Council member International Society for the Study of Harmful Algae (ISSHA)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Harmful Algae journal, Elsevier Science
- Berdalet E, Kudela R, Urban E, Enevoldsen H, Banas NS, Bresnan E, Burford M, Davidson K, Gobler CJ, Karlson B, Lim PT, MacKenzie LA and Montresor M, Trainer VL, Usup G, Yin KD 2017. GlobalHAB A new program to promote international research, observations, and modeling of harmful algal blooms in aquatic systems. Oceanography. Volume 30, Issue 1. Pages 70-81.
- Newcombe EM, Clark D, Gillespie PA, Morrisey DJ and MacKenzie LA 2015. Assessing the state of the marine environment in Tasman Bay and Golden Bay. Prepared for Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council. 70 pages plus appendix.
- MacKenzie LA 2014. ICHA16 proceedings. Cawthron Institute, Nelson, New Zealand and International Society for the Study of Harmful Algae (ISSHA) .
- MacKenzie LA 2014. The risk to New Zealand shellfish aquaculture from paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) toxins. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. In press.
- MacKenzie LA, Harwood DT, Tonks A, Robinson J and Knight BR 2013. Seafood safety risks from paralytic shellfish poisoning dionflagellate blooms in New Zealand: 2012-2013. Cawthron Report 2346. Prepared for the Ministry for Primary Industries, Food Safety.
- Harwood DT, Boundy M, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, MacKenzie LA and McNabb P 2013. Refinement and implementation of the Lawrence method (AOAC 2005.06) in a commercial laboratory: Assay performance during an Alexandrium catenella bloom event. Harmful Algae 24: 20-31.
- MacKenzie LA 2013. Biochemistry of digestion and algal-biotoxin metabolism in bivalves. A Thesis submitted to the University of Otago in fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry. University of Otago.
- MacKenzie LA, Selwood AI and others 2012. Isolation and characterization of an enzyme from the Greenshell™ mussel Perna canaliculus that hydrolyses pectenotoxins and esters of okadaic acid. Toxicon 60(3): 406-419.
- Beuzenberg V, Mountfort DO, Holland P, Shi F and MacKenzie LA 2012. Optimisation of growth and production of toxins by three dinoflagellates in photobioreactor cultures. Journal of Applied Phycology 24: 1023-1033. DOI: 10.1007/s10811-011-9726-8 .
- MacKenzie LA, Smith KF, Rhodes L, Brown A, Langi V, Lovell G and Preece M 2011. Mortalities of sea-cage salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) due to a bloom of Pseudochattonella verruculosa (Dictyophyceae) in Queen Charlotte Sound, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 11: 45-53.
- MacKenzie LA, Selwood AI, McNabb P and Rhodes L 2011. Benthic dinoflagellate toxins in two warm-temperate estruaries; Ranguanu and Parengarenga Harbours, Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 10(6): 559-566.
- MacKenzie LA and others 2011. An Alexandrium catenella bloom and associated saxitoxin contamination of shellfish, Queen Charlotte Sound, March-June 2011. Cawthron Report 1945. 38 pages. For MAF Food Safety.
- MacKenzie LA, Selwood AI and Beuzenberg V 2010. Shellfish enzymes and polyethertoxin assimilation and metabolism. In: Harmful Algae 2008. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Harmful Algal Blooms, Hong Kong, 3-7 November, 2008. Environmental Publication House Hong Kong. Pages 147-150.
- MacKenzie LA 2010. In situ passive solidphase adsorption of micro-algal biotoxins as a monitoring tool. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 21; 326-331.
- MacKenzie LA 2010. In situ passive solid-phase adsorption of micro-algal biotoxins as a monitoring tool. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 21(3): 326-331.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT, MacKenzie LA, Rhodes L, Wood SA, Cornelisen CD, Heasman KG , Munday R and King C 2010. Detection of Tetrodotoxin from the grey sided-gilled sea slug - Pleurobranchaea maculata, and associated dog neurotoxicosis on beaches adjacent to the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland, New Zealand. Toxicon 56, 466-473.
- MacKenzie LA 2008. The ecobiology of the Brevetoxin, Ciguatoxin and Cyclic imine producers. In Botana L. M. [Ed], Seafood and Freshwater Toxins: Pharmacology, Physiology and Detection, Second Edition. Pages 433-478.
- Taylor MD, MacKenzie LA and others 2007. Trans-Pacific shipboard trials on planktonic communities as indicators of open ocean ballast water exchange. Marine Ecology Progress Series 350: 41-54.
- MacKenzie LA, Beuzenberg V and others 2005. Pectenotoxin and okadaic acid-based toxin profiles in Dinophysis acuta and Dinophysis acuminata from New Zealand. Harmful Algae 4(1): 75-85.
- MacKenzie LA and Adamson J 2004. Water column stratification and the spatial and temporal distribution of phytoplankton biomass in Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 38: 705-728.
- MacKenzie LA, Beuzenberg V, Holland P, McNabb P and Selwood AI 2004. Solid phase adsorption toxin tracking (SPATT): A new monitoring tool that simulates the biotoxin contamination of filter feeding bivalves. Toxicon 44: 901-918.
- MacKenzie LA 2004. River inputs, remineralisation and the spatial and temporal distribution of inorganic nutrients in Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 38: 681-704.
- MacKenzie LA, de Salas M and others 2004. The dinoflagellate genus Alexandrium (Halim) in New Zealand coastal waters: comparative morphology, toxicity and molecular genetics. Harmful Algae 3(1): 71-92.
- MacKenzie LA 2004. River inputs, re-mineralisation and the spatial and temporal distribution of inorganic nutrients in Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 38(4): 681-704.
- MacKenzie LA, Sims I, Beuzenberg V and Gillespie PA 2002. Mass accumulation of mucilage caused by dinoflagellate polysaccharide exudates in Tasman Bay, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 1. 69-84.
- MacKenzie LA, Holland P, McNabb P, Beuzenberg V, Selwood AI and Suzuki T 2002. Complex toxin profiles in phytoplankton and Greenshell™ mussels (Perna canaliculus), revealed by LC-MS/MS analysis. Toxicon 40 (9): 1321-1330.
- Suzuki T, MacKenzie LA and others 2001. Conversion of pectenotoxin-2 to pectenotoxin-2 seco acid in the New Zealand scallop, Pecten novaezelandiae. Fisheries Science 67(3): 506-510.
- Suzuki T, MacKenzie LA and others 2001. Pectenotoxin-2 seco acid: a toxin converted from pectenotoxin-2 by the New Zealand Greenshell™ mussel, Perna canaliculus. Toxicon 39(4): 507-514.
- Rhodes L, MacKenzie LA and others 2001. Harmful algae and mariculture in New Zealand. Ices Journal of Marine Science 58(2): 398-403.
- MacKenzie LA and Berkett N 1997. Cell morphology and PSP-toxin profiles of Alexandrium minutum in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 31: 403-409.
- MacKenzie LA, White D, Rhodes L, Berkett N, Burke B and Haywood A 1994. Alexandrium and PSP in New Zealand; another chapter in the marine biotoxin saga. Seafood New Zealand 2 (6) 72-75.