- PhD (Marine Biology). Victoria University of Wellington, 2010
- MSc (with Distinction, Marine Science). University of Otago, 2002
- BSc (Zoology). University of Otago, 1998
- Cert (Marine Studies). Bay of Plenty Polytechnic, 1995
Role at Cawthron
Grant is a senior scientist and a Coastal Ecosystems Team leader. His research interests are focused around vessel-hull fouling, in particular biosecurity risks posed by slow-moving vessels and oil rigs. Grant also has extensive experience in monitoring the effects of marine farming activities on seabed and water column environments. In these fields Grant has authored more than 70 publications and consultancy reports.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Determination and management of biosecurity risks posed by vessels and structures associated with the oil and gas industry
- Biosecurity inspections on semi-submersible and jack-up rigs
- Development of methods to mitigate risks posed following defouling of pest species in the marine environment
- Recipient of Environmental Award in 2007 by the New Zealand Marine Farming Association for his contribution to developing monitoring programmes for marine farms
- Schimanski KB, Goldstien SJ, Hopkins GA, Atalah J and Floerl O 2017. Life history stage and vessel voyage profile can influence shipping-mediated propagule pressure of non-indigenous biofouling species. Biological Invasions. Volume 15, Issue 7. Pages 2089-2099.
- Zaiko A, Schimanski K, Pochon X, Hopkins GA, Goldstein S, Floerl O and Wood SA 2016. Metabarcoding improves detection of eukaryotes from early biofouling communities: implications for pest monitoring and pathway management. Biofouling. Volume 32, Issue 6. Pages 671-684.
- Pochon X, Zaiko A, Hopkins GA, Banks JC and Wood SA 2015. Early detection of eukaryotic communities from marine biofilm using high-throughput sequencing: an assessment of different sampling devices. Biofouling. Volume 31, Issue 3. Pages 241-251.
- Atalah J, Hopkins GA, Fletcher LM , Castinel A and Forrest BM 2015. Concepts for biocontrol in marine environments: is there a way forward. Management of Biological Invasions 6: Pages 1-12.
- Pochon X, Atalah J, Wood SA, Hopkins GA and Boedeker C 2015. Cladophora ruchingeri (C.Agardh) Kützing, 1845 (Cladophorales, Chlorophyta): a new biofouling pest of green-lipped mussel Perna canaliculus. Aquatic Invasions, 10 (2), 123-133.
- Atalah J, Newcombe EM, Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2014. Potential biocontrol agents for biofouling on artificial structures. Biofouling Sep 2014: 30(8):999-1010. doi: 10.1080/08927014.2014.956734.
- Castinel A, Forrest BM and Hopkins GA 2014. Review of disease risks for New Zealand shellfish aquaculture: Perspectives for management. Cawthron Report 2297. Prepared for Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment. 31 pages plus appendices.
- Keeley N, Forrest BM, Crawford C, Hopkins GA and MacLeod C 2014. Spatial and temporal dynamics in macrobenthos during recovery from salmon farm induced organic enrichment: when is recovery complete. Marine Pollution Bulletin 80, 250-262.
- Forrest BM, Fletcher LM , Atalah J, Piola RF and Hopkins GA 2013. Predation limits spread of Didemnum vexillum into natural habitats from refuges on anthropogenic structures. PLoS ONE 8:e82229.
- Sinner J, Forrest BM, Newton MJ, Hopkins GA, Inglis G, Woods C and Morrisey D 2013. Managing the domestic spread of harmful marine organisms. Part B: Statutory framework and analysis of options. Cawthron Report 2442. Prepared for Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) Preparedness and Partnerships Directorate. 72 pages plus appendix.
- Atalah J, Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2013. Augmentative biocontrol in natural marine habitats: Persistence, spread and non-target effects of the sea urchin evechinus chloroticus. PLoS ONE 8(11): e80365.
- Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2013. Biofouling inspection of the Kan Tan IV, Batam, Indonesia. Cawthron Report 2312. Prepared for Frigstad Offshore Pte Limited. 11 pages plus appendices.
- Atalah J, Bennett H, Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2013. Evaluation of the sea anemone Anthothoe albocincta as an augmentative biocontrol agent for biofouling on artificial structures. Biofouling 29 (5): 559-571.
- Hopkins GA 2013. Assessment and management of risks from biofouling. PhD Thesis, Victoria University of Wellington. 161 pages.
- Forrest BM and Hopkins GA 2013. Population control to mitigate the spread of marine pests: insights from management of the Asian kelp Undaria pinnatifida and colonial ascidian Didemnum vexillum. Management of Biological Invasions 4(4): 317-326.
- Sinner J, Berkett N, Forrest BM and Hopkins GA 2012. Harmful aquatic organisms - Recommendations for the Auckland unitary plan. Cawthron Report 2232. Prepared for Auckland Council. 71 pages plus appendices.
- Piola RF and Hopkins GA 2012. Thermal treatment as a method to control transfers of invasive biofouling species via vessel sea chests. Marine Pollution Bulletin 64(8): 1620-1630.
- Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Tremblay LA 2011. Overview of marine biosecurity risks from finfish aquaculture development in the Waikato Region. Waikato Regional Council Technical Report, TR 2011/22. 94 pages.
- Hopkins GA, Forrest BM, Jiang W and Gardner JPA 2011. Successful eradication of a non-indigenous marine bivalve from a subtidal soft sediment environment. Journal of Applied Ecology 48(2): 424-431.
- Hopkins GA, Forrest BM, Piola RF and Gardner JPA 2011. Factors affecting survivorship of defouled communities and the effect of fragmentation on establishment success. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 396(2): 233-243.
- Hopkins GA, Forrest BM and Coutts ADM 2010. The effectiveness of rotating brush devices for management of vessel hull fouling. Biofouling 26: 555-566.
- Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2010. Challenges associated with pre-border management of biofouling on oil rigs. Marine Pollution Bulletin 60: 1924-1929.
- Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2010. A preliminary assessment of biofouling and non-indigenous marine species associated with commercial slow-moving vessels arriving in New Zealand. Biofouling 26: 613-621.
- Hopkins GA 2010. Biofouling management plan and risk assessment for the Kan Tan IV deployment to Bass Strait, Australia. Cawthron Report 1809. Prepared for Origin Energy Resources Limited. 13 pages.
- Keeley N, Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Gillespie PA, Knight BR, Webb SC, Clement D and Gardner J 2009. Review of the ecological effects of farming shellfish and other non-finfish species in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 1476. Prepared for New Zealand's Ministry of Fisheries.
- Forrest BM, Keeley N, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Clement D 2009. Synthesis of the ecological effects of intertidal oyster aquaculture. Aquaculture 298 1-15.
- Hopkins GA and Forrest BM 2008. Management options for vessel hull fouling: an overview of risks posed by in-water cleaning. Ices Journal of Marine Science 65(5): 811-815.
- Hopkins GA 2008. Advice on the development of appropriate monitoring conditions for marine farm sites in Southland. Cawthron Report 1514. Prepared for FRST Envirolink. 18 pages plus appendices.
- Forrest BM, Keeley N, Gillespie PA, Hopkins GA, Knight BR and Govier D 2007. Review of the ecological effects of marine finfish aquaculture: final report. Prepared for Ministry of Fisheries. 71 pages.
- Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Dodgshun T and Gardner JPA 2007. Efficacy of acetic acid treatments in the management of marine biofouling. Aquaculture 262(2-4): 319-332.
- Robertson BM, Gillespie PA, Asher R, Frisk S, Keeley N, Hopkins GA, Thompson SJ and Tuckey BJ 2002. Estuarine environmental assessment and monitoring: A national protocol. Sustainable Management Fund Contract 5096. Prepared for supporting Councils and the Ministry for the Environment. Part A. Development, Part B. Appendices, and Part C. Application. Part A. 93 pages. Part B. 159 pages. Part C. 40 pages plus field sheets.