- PhD (Physical Oceanography), Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- BE (First Class Hons), Engineering Science, University of Auckland
Role at Cawthron
Ross joined Cawthron in October 2016 as a Coastal and Ecosystems Team Leader and also holds an Assistant Professor position in the University of Otago’s Department of Marine Science.
Ross is a physical oceanographer with over 25 years’ experience focusing on coastal and shelf oceanography. He has worked in a diverse range of areas from analysis techniques to produce highly detailed measurements of tidal currents, to satellite remote sensing of the ocean. Projects have also included measuring wave drag on human swimmers and the performance of yachts in waves.
A current project is providing fundamental knowledge on the scale of energy production from large arrays of tidal turbines. He has worked extensively with Ports to produce high resolution measurements of tidal currents to support safe operation of ships and port development.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Oceanographic data analysis and the development of numerical methods for data analysis
- Coastal and shelf ocean modelling
- Long period ocean waves
- Generating energy from tidal currents
- Developing tools to communicate ocean data
- Gorman AR, Smillie MW, Cooper JK, Bowman MH, Vennell R, Holbrook WS and al 2018. Seismic characterization of oceanic water masses, water mass boundaries, and mesoscale eddies SE of New Zealand. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. Volume 123. Pages 1519–1532.
- Khosravi M, Siadatmousavi SM, Vennell R and Chegini V 2018. The transverse dynamics of flow in a tidal channel within a greater strait. Ocean Dynamics.
- Turner KE, Smith IJ, Tison J-L, Verbeke V, McGuinness M, Ingham M, Vennell R and Trodahl J 2017. Sea ice growth rates from tide-driven visible banding. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. Volume 122, Issue 6. Pages 4675-4684.
- Vennell R 2016. An optimal tuning strategy for tidal turbines. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. Volume 472, Issue 2195. 20160047.
- Vennell R, Funke S, Draper S, Stevens C and Divett T 2015. Designing large arrays of tidal turbines: a synthesis and review. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. Volume 41. Pages 454-472.
- Kudo K, Vennell R, Wilson B, Waddell N and Sato Y 2013. The effect of unsteady flow due to acceleration on hydrodynamic forces acting on the hand in swimming. Journal of Biomechanics. Volume 46, Issue 10. Pages 1697–1704.
- MacMahan J, Vennell R, Beatson R, Brown J and Reniers A 2012. Divergence-free spatial velocity flow field interpolator for improving measurements from ADCP-equipped small unmanned underwater vehicles. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. Volume 29 Pages 478–484.
- Vennell R and Thiebaut S 2011. Resonance of long waves generated by storms obliquely crossing shelf topography in a rotating ocean. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Volume 682. Pages 261–288.
- Vennell R 2010. Tuning turbines in a tidal channel. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Volume 663. Pages 253-267.
- Vennell R 2010. Resonance and trapping of topographic transient ocean waves generated by a moving atmospheric disturbance. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Volume 650. Pages 427-442.
- Griffith G, Vennell R and Williams M 2010. An algal photoprotection index and vertical mixing in the Southern Ocean. Journal of Plankton Research. Volume 32, Issue 4. Pages 515-527.
- Vennell R and Beatson R 2009. Divergence free spatial interpolator for large sparse velocity data sets. Journal of Geophysical Research. Volume 114. C10024.