- PhD (Aquaculture/Chemistry). University of Tasmania, 2008
- BSc (Honours,1st class, Natural Products Chemistry). The University of Melbourne,1998
- BSc. The University of Melbourne,1997
Role at Cawthron
Matt is a technical consultant working in the analytical services research and development team. He applies his expertise in marine oils and natural product chemistry to provide practical solutions for innovative companies that Cawthron collaborates with.
Matt is highly skilled in techniques such as gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC–MS), Iatroscan, thin layer chromatography – flame ionised detection (TLC–FID), high performance liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (HPLC–MS), and many other spectroscopy techniques.
Outside the laboratory, Matt is a keen fisherman and has a passion for music (working on radio in three different countries), but he spends most of his time entertaining his young son.
Technical skills, experience and interests
Ten years' experience in lipid chemistry; in particular, oils from marine sources, including expertise in:
- lipid oxidation
- omega 3 biochemistry
- analytical oil chemistry
- marine oil processing
- enzymatic transformations of oils
- novel antioxidants
- oxidative volatiles identification/quantification
- regiospecific analysis of oil
- analysis of intact lipids, lipidomics and marine algae lipid biosynthesis.
Sustainable aquaculture project leadership aimed at sourcing novel marine oils for use in aquaculture, nutraceuticals and food.
- President of the Australasian section of the American Oil Chemists' Society (AAOCS)
- Member of the Oils & Fats Specialist Group of the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry
View Matt's ResearchGate profile
- Uchida H, Itabashi Y, Watanabe R, Matsushima R, Oikawa H, Suzuki T, Hosokawa M, Tsutsumi N, Ura K, Donato Romanazzi and Miller MR 2018. Detection and identification of furan fatty acids from fish lipids by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled to electrospray ionization quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Food Chemistry. In press.
- Miller MR and Tian H 2017. Changes in proximate composition, lipid class and fatty acid profile in Greenshell™ mussels (Perna canaliculus) over an annual cycle. Aquaculture Research.
- Nichols PD, McManus A, Krail K, Sinclair AJ and Miller MR 2014. Recent advances in Omega-3: Health benefits, sources, products and bioavailability. Special Issue. Recent Advances in Omega-3: Health Benefits, Sources, Products and Bioavailability.
- Vongsvivut J, Miller MR , McNaughton D, Heraud P and Barrow C 2014. Rapid discrimination and determination of polyunsaturated fatty acid composition in marine oils by FTIR spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis. Food and Bioprocess Technology. August 2014, Volume 7, Issue 8. Pages 2410-2422.
- Oliveira A and Miller MR 2014. Purification of Alaskan walleye pollock (Gadus chalcogrammus) and New Zealand hoki (Macruronus novaezelandiae) liver oil using short path distillation. Nutrients 6(5): 2059–2076.
- Miller MR , Pearce L and Bettjeman B 2014. Detailed distribution of lipids in Greenshell™ mussel (Perna canaliculus). Nutrients 6(4): 1454–1474.
- Kaspar H, Keys EF, King N, Smith KF, Kesarcodi-Watson A and Miller MR 2014. Continuous production of Chaetoceros calcitrans in a system suitable for commercial hatcheries. Aquaculture Volume 420. Pages 1- 9. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2013.10.021.
- Miller MR , Quek S-Y, Stähler K, Nalder T and Packer MA 2014. Changes in oil content, lipid class and fatty acid composition of the microalga Chaetoceros calcitrans over different phases of batch culture. Aquaculture Research. Volume 45. Issue 10.
- Martineau E, Wood SA, Miller MR , Jungblut A, Hawes I, Webster-Brown J and Packer MA 2013. Morphological, molecular and biochemical characterisation of cyanobacteria isolated from Antarctica; comparison with New Zealand strains. Hydrobiologia, 711(1), 139-154.
- Tuckey NPL, Day JR and Miller MR 2013. Determination of volatile compounds in New Zealand Greenshell™ mussels (Perna canaliculus) during chilled storage using solid phase microextraction gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Food Chemistry 136(1): 218–223.
- Kindleysides S, Quek S-Y and Miller MR 2012. Inhibition of fish oil oxidation and the radical scavenging activity of New Zealand seaweed extracts. Food Chemistry Volume 133, Issue 4. Pages 1624–1631.
- Miller MR , Perry N, Burgess E and Marshall S 2011. Regiospecific analyses of triacylglycerols of Hoki (Macruronus novaezelandiae) and Greenshell™ mussel (Perna canaliculus). Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. Volume 88, Issue 4. Pages 509-516 .
- Miller MR , Nichols PD and Carter CG 2010. New alternative n-3 highly unsaturated fatty acid-rich oil sources. In: Turchini GM, Ng WK, Tocher DR eds. Fish oil replacement and alternative lipid sources in aquaculture feeds. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Miller MR , Bridle AR, Nichols PD and Carter CG 2008. Increased elongase and desaturase gene expression with stearidonic acid enriched diet does not enhance long-chain (n-3) content of seawater Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Nutrition 138(11): Pages 2179–2185.
- Miller MR , Nichols PD and Carter CG 2008. The digestibility and accumulation of dietary phytosterols in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) smolt fed diets with replacement plant oils. Lipids 43(6): Pages 549–557.
- Miller MR , Nichols PD and Carter CG 2008. n-3 Oil sources for use in aquaculture – alternatives to the unsustainable harvest of wild fish. Nutrition Research Reviews 21(02): Pages 85–96.
- Miller MR , Nichols PD and Carter CG 2007. Replacement of fish oil with thraustochytrid Schizochytrium sp. L. oil in Atlantic salmon parr (Salmo salar L) diets. Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology A 148(2): Pages 382–392.