- PhD candidate (Analytical Chemistry), University of Waikato, 2019
- BSc in Chemistry (First Class Honours), University of Waikato, 2018
- Graduate Diploma in Chemistry. University of Waikato, 2015
- National Diploma in Science (Chemistry and Microbiology). Otago Polytechnic, 2004
Role at Cawthron
Sam is an analytical chemist with 14 years' experience in internationally accredited laboratories, having held senior roles such as laboratory manager and technical consultant.
Sam’s unique combination of technical and analytical chemistry expertise has led him to develop and validate a number of methods on state-of-the-art instrumentation.
His research focuses on the chemical analysis of harmful algal blooms for biotoxins and the bioaccumulation of these toxins in marine species, as well as on the isolation and purification of natural products.
Sam’s current work within MBIE’s Safe New Zealand Seafood programme is aimed at enhancing the understanding of microalgal species abundance, distribution and toxicity in the South Pacific ocean, in particular the species associated with ciguatera fish poisoning.
This work, in conjunction with a scholarship from the New Zealand Food Safety Science and Research Centre, will form the basis of his PhD.
- Analytical Chemistry
- Analytical method development and validation
- Compound discovery
- Natural product isolation and purification
- Sampling of marine micro- and macro-algae, invertebrates, fish and other aquatic organisms
- Knowledge of ISO17025, IANZ and LAS requirements and accreditation
View Sam's ReseachGate profile
- Murray JS, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Puddick J, Rhodes L, Rise F and Wilkins A 2019. 44-Methylgambierone, a new gambierone analogue isolated from Gambierdiscus australes. Tetrahedron Letters.
- Harwood DT, Murray JS and Boundy M 2017. Sample preparation prior to marine toxin analysis. Jorge D, Mònica C ed. Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry, Elsevier. Pages 89-136.
- Dorantes-Aranda JJ, Tan JYC, Hallegraeff GM, Campbell K, Ugalde SC, Harwood DT, Bartlett JK, Campàs M, Crooks S, Gerssen A, Harrison K, Huet AC, Jordan TB, Koeberl M, Monaghan T, Murray JS and Nimmagadda R, Ooms C, Quinlan RK, Shi F, Turner AD, Yakes BJ, Turnbull AR 2017. Detection of paralytic shellfish toxins in mussels and oysters Using the qualitative neogen lateral-flow immunoassay: an interlaboratory study. Journal of AOAC international. Volume 101, Issue 2. Pages 1-12.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Murray JS, Harwood DT, Trnski T and Munday R 2017. The epiphytic genus Gambierdiscus (Dinophyceae) in the Kermadec Islands and Zealandia regions of the Southwestern Pacific and the associated risk of Ciguatera Fish Poisoning. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 7. Page 219.
- Munday R, Murray JS, Rhodes L, Larsson ME and Harwood DT 2017. Ciguatoxins and maitotoxins in extracts of sixteen Gambierdiscus isolates and one Fukuyoa isolate from the South Pacific and their toxicity to mice by intraperitoneal and oral administration. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 7. Page 208.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Verma A, Curley BG, Harwood DT, Murray JS and Kohli GS, Solomona D, Rongo T, Munday R, Murray SA 2017. A new species of Gambierdiscus (Dinophyceae) from the south-west Pacific: Gambierdiscus honu sp. nov. . Harmful Algae. Volume 65. Pages 61-70.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Harwood DT, Murray JS and Biessy L 2017. Is Gambierdiscus expanding its geographic range in the Pacific region. Harmful Algae News. Issue 56. Pages 1-4.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Verma A, Murray JS, Harwood DT and Trnski T 2017. The dinoflagellate genera Gambierdiscus and Ostreopsis from subtropical Raoul Island and North Meyer Island, Kermadec Islands. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. Pages 1-15. Published online.