- Post-doctoral Fellow. Otago University, 2003-2005
- PhD (Biology). University of South Florida, 2003
- Coastal Management Fellow. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1996-1998
- MS (Oceanography/Coastal Zone Management). Florida Institute of Technology, 1996
- BA (Biology, Business minor). Drake University, 1991
Role at Cawthron
Chris is the Group Manager for coastal sciences at Cawthron. Chris's primary area of expertise is in estuarine and coastal processes, and the interaction between the physical environment and biological systems.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Nutrient dynamics and water quality in coastal and estuarine systems
- Benthic ecology and monitoring
- Source tracking land-derived contaminants in the coastal environment
- Integrated catchment management
- Application of stable isotopes in ecological studies
- New Zealand Marine Sciences Society
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography
View Chris' ResearchGate profile
- Jiang W, Knight BR, Cornelisen CD, Barter PJ and Kudela R 2017. Simplifying Regional Tuning of MODIS Chlorophyll-a Algorithms for Monitoring Coastal Waters. Frontiers in Marine Science. Volume 4. Page 151.
- Forrest BM, Cornelisen CD, Clement D and Keeley N 2015. Monitoring framework for the Waikato coastal marine area: Report 2–Regional aquaculture monitoring priorities and guidance. Prepared for Waikato Regional Council. 67 pages.
- Berkett N, Wade O, Cornelisen CD, Newton MJ and Bell K 2015. Guiding Coastal and Marine Resource Management. Prepared for Coastal and Special Interest Group (C-SIG) on behalf of regional councils and unitary authorities of New Zealand.
- Jiang W, Cornelisen CD, Knight BR and Gibbs M 2015. A pattern-oriented model for assessing effects of weather and freshwater discharge on black coral (Antipathes fiordensis) distribution in a fjord. Ecological Modelling. Volume 304. Pages 59-68.
- Cornelisen CD 2013. Land use changes in the Tukituki River catchment: Assessment of environmental effects on coastal waters. Cawthron Report 2392. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Council.
- Barr NG, Dudley BD, Rogers KM and Cornelisen CD 2013. Broad-scale patterns of tissue-delta N-15 and tissue-N indices in frondose Ulva spp.: Developing a national baseline indicator of nitrogen-loading for coastal New Zealand. Marine Pollution Bulletin 67(1-2): 203-216.
- Ellis J, Barter PJ and Cornelisen CD 2012. Coastal monitoring using moored platforms: Regional to national considerations. Cawthron Report 2199. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Council. 30 pages.
- Goodwin E and Cornelisen CD 2012. Near-surface water temperatures in Doubtful Sound and response to natural and anthropogenic drivers. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 46(3): 411-429.
- Cornelisen CD, Gillespie PA, Kirs M, Young RG, Forrest RW, Barter PJ , Knight BR and Harwood VJ 2011. Motueka River plume facilitates transport of ruminant faecal contaminants into shellfish growing waters, Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 45(3): 477-495.
- Gillespie PA, Forrest RW, Knight BR, Cornelisen CD and Young RG 2011. Variation in nutrient loading from the Motueka River into Tasman Bay, New Zealand, 2005-2009: Implications for the river plume ecosystem. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45(3): 497-512.
- Kirs M, Harwood VJ, Fidler AE, Gillespie PA, Fyfe WA, Blackwood AD and Cornelisen CD 2011. Source tracking faecal contamination in an urbanised and rural waterway in the Nelson-Tasman region, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45, 43-58.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT, MacKenzie LA, Rhodes L, Wood SA, Cornelisen CD, Heasman KG , Munday R and King C 2010. Detection of Tetrodotoxin from the grey sided-gilled sea slug - Pleurobranchaea maculata, and associated dog neurotoxicosis on beaches adjacent to the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland, New Zealand. Toxicon 56, 466-473.
- Lamare MD, Channon T, Cornelisen CD and Clarke M 2009. Archival electronic tagging of a predatory sea star – Testing a new technique to study movement at the individual level. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 373: 1-10.
- Cornelisen CD and Thomas FIM 2009. Prediction and validation of flow dependent uptake of ammonium over a seagrass hardbottom community in Florida Bay. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 386: 71-81.
- Goodwin E, Cornelisen CD, Knight BR and Jiang W 2008. MTAD marine physical report: Forecasted effects of amended freshwater discharge on the low-salinity layer in Doubtful Sound. Cawthron Report 1533. Prepared for Meridian Energy Ltd. 150 pages plus appendices.
- Cornelisen CD and Wing SR 2007. Patterns in the delta C-13 and delta N-15 signature of Ulva pertusa: Interaction between physical gradients and nutrient source pools. Limnology and Oceanography 52(2): 820-832.
- Cornelisen CD, Clark K, Jiang W, Goodwin E, Roberts B and Dunmore R 2007. Assessment of 2MTT discharge effects in Doubtful Sound: Physical and biological monitoring. Cawthron Report 1390. Prepared for Meridian Energy. 62 pages plus appendices.
- Forrest BM, Gillespie PA, Cornelisen CD and Rodgers KM 2007. Multiple indicators reveal river plume influence on sediments and benthos in a New Zealand coastal embayment. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 41(1): 13-24.
- Wing SR, Leichter J, Perrin C, Rutger SM, Bowman MH and Cornelisen CD 2007. Topographic shading and wave exposure influence morphology and ecophysiology of Ecklonia radiata in Fiorldland, New Zealand. Limnology & Oceanography 52: 1853- 1864.
- Cornelisen CD, Wing SR, Clark KL, Bowman MH, Frew RD and Hurd CL 2007. Patterns of δ13C and δ15N signatures in Ulva pertusa: Interaction between physical gradients and nutrient source pools. Limnology & Oceanography, 52: 820-832.
- Cornelisen CD and Thomas FIM 2006. Water flow enhances ammonium and nitrate uptake in a seagrass community. Marine Ecology Progress Series 312: 1-13.
- Cornelisen CD and Thomas FIM 2004. Ammonium and nitrate uptake by leaves of the seagrass Thalassia testudinum: Impact of hydrodynamic regime and epiphyte cover on uptake rates. Journal of Marine Systems, 49: 177-194.
- Thomas FIM and Cornelisen CD 2003. Ammonium uptake by seagrass communities: Effects of oscillatory vs. unidirectional flow. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 247: 51-57.
- Cornelisen CD and Thomas FIM 2002. Ammonium uptake by seagrass epiphytes: Isolation of the effects of water velocity using an isotope label. Limnology & Oceanography, 47: 1223-1229.
- Thomas FIM, Cornelisen CD and Zande JM 2000. Effects of water velocity and canopy morphology on ammonium uptake by seagrass communities. Ecology, 81: 2704-2713.
- Cornelisen CD 1998. Restoration of coastal habitats and species in the Gulf of Maine. Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment. Boston, Massachusetts. 210 pages.