Cawthron's marine biosecurity team has a close relationship with the aquaculture industry, which has been increasingly plagued by marine pest and disease issues.
Current projects include:
- research into the biology and management of the oyster herpes virus (OsHV-1) – see aquaculture breeding improvements
- characterisation of biofouling patterns and environmental drivers on mussel and salmon farms
- development of novel mitigation tools to manage problematic pests
- development of tools to manage industry risk pathways (e.g. seed-stock transfers)
- assessment of existing and emerging pest and disease threats to New Zealand shellfish aquaculture.