- PhD. University of Cape Town, 1999
- MSc. University of Cape Town, 1986
- BSc. University of Hull, 1980
Role at Cawthron
Steve is a scientist with the Aquaculture group at Cawthron. He is also a member of the animal ethics committee and is a quarantine containment manager.
His work involves detecting and identifying viral infections in bivalve molluscs, investigating molluscan pathology as well as conducting routine health surveys of aquaculture molluscs.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Histological indicators of disease and suboptimal conditions in bivalves
- Anisakid nematodes in finfish, cetaceans, pinnipeds and birds
- Parasite-induced loss of quality in seafoods
- Bonamia, APX, Ostreid herpes virus, molluscan chlamydia and digestive epithelial virosis
- Hill KM, Stokes NA, Webb SC, Hine PM, Kroeck MA, Moore JD, Morley MS, Reece KS, Burreson EM and Carnegie RB 2014. Phylogenetics of Bonamia parasites based on small subunit and internal transcribed spacer region ribosomal DNA sequence data. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. Volume 110.
- Mattiucci S, Cipriani P, Webb SC, Paoletti M, Marcer F, Bellisario B and others 2014. Genetic and morphological approaches distinguish the three sibling species of the anisakis simplex species complex, with a species designation as anisakis berlandi n. sp for a. simplex sp c . Journal of Parasitology 100(2), 199-214.
- Webb SC 2012. Studies on ostreid herpes virus-1: A causal agent implicated in summer mortality in the oyster crassostrea gigas by PCR of archival histology specimens . Cawthron Report 2093. Report on a Royal Society Dumont D'Urville scientist exchange programme.
- Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Tremblay LA 2011. Overview of marine biosecurity risks from finfish aquaculture development in the Waikato Region. Waikato Regional Council Technical Report, TR 2011/22. 94 pages.
- Adams SL, Smith JF, Tervit R, McGowan LT, Roberts RD, Janke AR, King NG, Gale SL and Webb SC 2011. Cryopreservation of Molluscan Sperm: Pacific Oyster, Green-lipped Mussel, and Paua Abalone. In: Tiersch, T.R., Green, C.C. (Eds.), Cryopreservation in Aquatic Species, 2nd Edition. World Aquaculture Society, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, pages 562-573.
- Keeley N, Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Gillespie PA, Knight BR, Webb SC, Clement D and Gardner J 2009. Review of the ecological effects of farming shellfish and other non-finfish species in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 1476. Prepared for New Zealand's Ministry of Fisheries.
- Forrest BM, Keeley N, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Clement D 2009. Synthesis of the ecological effects of intertidal oyster aquaculture. Aquaculture 298 1-15.
- Mattiucci S, Paoletti M and Webb SC 2009. Description of Anisakis nascettii n. sp. (Nematoda: Anisakidae) from beaked whales of the southern hemisphere: reproductive isolation from A.ziphidarum. Systematic Parasitology 74199-217.
- Forrest BM, Keeley NB, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Clement D 2009. Bivalve aquaculture in estuaries: review and synthesis of oyster cultivation effects. Aquaculture 298(1-2): 1-15.
- Alfaro AC, Webb SC and others 2008. Variability of growth, health, and population turnover within mussel beds of Perna canaliculus in Northern New Zealand. Marine Biology Research 4(5): 376-383 .
- Adams SL, Smith JF, Roberts RD, Janke AR, King NG and Webb SC 2008. The application of sperm cryopreservation in selective breeding of the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg) . Aquaculture Research 39:1434-1442.
- Webb SC and Duncan J 2008. TechNet Health assessment comparing scallops from Richmond and Ketu Bays in Pelorus Sound: first report of an inclusion in scallop tissues. Cawthron Aquaculture Pathology Unit, 6th November.
- Webb SC 2007. Pathogens and parasites of the mussels Mytilus galloprovincialis and Perna canaliculus: assessment of the threats faced by New Zealand aquaculture. Cawthron Report 1334.
- Webb SC 2007. Parasites and diseases of the eels A. anguilla, A. australis, A. dieffenbachii, A. japonica and A. rostrata: a literature review. Cawthron Report 1248. 32 pages.
- Webb SC, Fidler AE and Renault T 2007. Primers for PCR-based detection of ostreid herpes virus-1 (OsHV-1): application in a survey of New Zealand molluscs. Aquaculture 272(1-4): 126-139.
- Webb SC and Heasman KG 2006. Evaluation of Fast Green uptake as a simple fitness test for spat of Perna canaliculus. Aquaculture 252(2-4): 305-316.
- Webb SC 2005. Causes of blue discolouration in canned abalone and crabs: a literature review. Cawthron Report 1115. 10 pages.
- Mattiucci S, Nascetti G, Dailey M, Webb SC, Barros NB, Cianchi R and Bullini L 2005. Evidence for a new species of Anisakis Dujardin, 1845: morphological description and genetic relationships between congeners (Nematoda; Anisakidae). Systematic Parasitology 61:157-171.
- Adams SL, Smith JF, Roberts RD, Janke AR, Kaspar H, Tervit HR, Pugh PA, Webb SC and King NG 2004. Cryopreservation of sperm of the Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas): development of a practical method for commercial spat production. Aquaculture 242: 271-282.
- Webb SC 1999. Anisakis pegreffii in the skeletal musculature of the Cape hake Merluccius capensis and M. paradoxus. Foodtek-FIRI Progress Report No 5/99. 17 pages.
- Webb SC 1998. Assessment of the threat posed to fish quality by anisakid larvae and their products. FIRI Progress Report No 3/98. 23 pages.
- Webb SC 1998. Softening of commercially important fish by myxozoans: a review of Kudoa thyrsites and related organisms. Foodtek-FIRI Progress Report No 13/97. 12 pages.
- Paggi L, Nascetti G, Webb SC, Mattiucci S, Cianchi R and Bullini L 1998. A new species of Anisakis Dujardin, 1845 (Nematoda: Anisakidae) from beaked whales (Ziphiidae): allozyme and morphological evidence. Systematic Parasitology 40, 161-174.
- Paggi L, Nascetti G, Webb SC, Mattiucci S, Cianchi R and Bullini L 1998. Genetic relationships between congeners and ecological data. Systematic Parasitology 74199-217.
- Webb SC and Korrubel JL 1994. Shell weakening in marine mytilids attributable to blue-green alga Mastigocoleus sp. (Nostochopsidaceae) . Journal of Shellfish Research 13 (1), 11-17.
- Webb SC 1991. Use of acetic orcein as a fast method to relax, fix, clear and stain cercariae for light microscopy. Journal of Helminthology 65, 234-238.
- Webb SC 1991. Cercaria hastata sp. nov. (Digenea: Trematoda) in Bullia digitalis, a sandy-beach surfing whelk from the Western Cape coast of South Africa: epidemiology and sex linked phenomena. Journal of Natural History 25, 543-588.