- MSc. Rhodes University, 1996
- BSc (Hons). Rhodes University, 1992
- BSc. University of Natal, 1991
Role at Cawthron
Kevin focuses on understanding the biology of selected marine and freshwater animals and customising systems to culture them for economic, customary and environmental purposes.
Based in the Aquaculture group, Kevin also works on biosecurity issues and with the Marine and Freshwater group. His main tasks are related to problem-solving for the aquaculture industry. He has a diverse portfolio ranging from designing water recycling systems to biofouling control and animal husbandry.
Kevin is presently involved with the development of offshore shellfish farming and the structural design for offshore systems. He is also involved in other programmes such as Geoduck production systems and surf clam enhancement.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Marine bivalve farming
- Finfish farming
- Economic biofouling
- Water recycling systems
- Marine organism husbandry
- Structural design
View Kevin's ResearchGate profile
- Goseberg N, Chambers MD, Heasman KG and Fredriksson D, Fredheim A, Schlurmann T 2017. Technological approaches to longline- and cage-based aquaculture in open ocean environments. Buck BH, Langan R ed. Aquaculture Perspective of Multi-Use Sites in the Open Ocean: The Untapped Potential for Marine Resources in the Anthropocene. Cham, Springer International Publishing. Pages 71-95.
- Newcombe EM, Sciascia P, Heasman KG , Spinks A, Poutama M, Smith H and Sinner J 2015. Towards revitalisation of toheroa in the Horowhenua. Prepared for Taiao Raukawa and Manaaki Taha Moana. 35 pages.
- Gribben PE and Heasman KG 2015. Developing fisheries and aquaculture industries for Panopeazelandica in New Zealand. Journal of Shellfish Research. Volume 34, Number 1, Pages 5 - 10.
- Cahill P, Heasman KG , Jeffs A and Kuhajek JM 2013. Laboratory assesment of the antifouling potential of a soluble-matrix paint laced with the natural compound polygodial. Biofouling 10.1080/08927014.2013.822488.
- Cahill P, Burritt D, Heasman KG , Jeffs A and Kuhajek JM 2013. Screening for antioxidant and detoxification responses in Perna canaliculus (Gmelin) exposed to an antifouling bioactive intended for use in aquaculture. Chemosphere 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2013.05.058.
- Cahill P, Heasman KG , Hickey A, Mountfort D, Jeffs A and Kuhajek JM 2013. Screening for negative effects of candidate ascidian antifoulant compounds on a target aquaculture species, Perna canaliculus (Gmelin). Biofouling 29(1): 29-37. DOI: 10.1080/08927014.2012.744826.
- Cahill P, Heasman KG and others 2013. Laboratory assessment of the antifouling potential of a soluble-matrix paint laced with the natural compound polygodial. Biofouling 29(8): 967-975.
- Cahill P, Heasman KG , Jeffs A, Kuhajek JM and Mountfort D 2012. Preventing ascidian fouling in aquaculture: screening selected allelochemicals for anti-metamorphic properties in ascidian larvae. Biofouling 28(1): 39-49. DOI:10.1080/08927014.2011.648624.
- Rius M, Heasman KG and others 2011. Long-term coexistence of non-indigenous species in aquaculture facilities. Marine Pollution Bulletin 62(11): 2395-2403.
- Cahill P, Heasman KG and others 2011. The development of an antifoulant for use in bivalve aquaculture based on the inhibition of metamorphosis in ascidian larvae by selected allelochemicals. Journal of Shellfish Research 30(2): 490-490.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT, MacKenzie LA, Rhodes L, Wood SA, Taylor DI, Cornelisen CD, Heasman KG , Munday R and King C 2010. Detection of Tetrodotoxin from the grey sided-gilled sea slug - Pleurobranchaea maculata, and associated dog neurotoxicosis on beaches adjacent to the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland, New Zealand. Toxicon 56, 466-473.
- Heasman KG , Keeley N, Roberts B, Batstone CJ, Knight BR and Mussely H 2009. Feasibility of open ocean aquaculture in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 1481. 213 pages. Prepared for the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology and Offshore Technology Development (OTD) Ltd.
- Webb SC and Heasman KG 2006. Evaluation of Fast Green uptake as a simple fitness test for spat of Perna canaliculus. Aquaculture 252(2-4): 305-316.
- Hecht T and Heasman KG 1999. The culture of Mytilus galloprovincialis in South Africa and the carrying capacity of Saldanha Bay. World Aquaculture, Vol 30, No 4, 50-55, 1999.
- Grant J, Stenton-Dozey J, Monterio P, Pitcher G and Heasman KG 1998. Shellfish mariculture in the Benguela system: A carbon budget for Saldanha Bay for raft culture of Mytilus galloprovincialis. Journal of Shellfish Research, Vol 17, No 1, 41- 49.
- Boyd AJ and Heasman KG 1998. Shellfish mariculture in the Benguela system: Water flow patterns within a mussel farm in Saldanha Bay, South Africa. Journal of Shellfish Research, Vol 17, No 1, 25-32.
- Heasman KG , Pitcher GC, McQuaid CD and Hecht T 1998. Shellfish mariculture in the Benguela system: Raft culture of Mytilus galloprovincialis and the effect of rope spacing on food extraction, growth rate, production and condition of mussels. Journal of Shellfish Research, Vol 17, No 1, 33-39.