- PhD (Toxicology). University of Surrey, United Kingdom, 1981
- M.I. Biol. (Pharmacology and Applied Biology). NESCOT, United Kingdom 1977
Role at Cawthron
Charles joined Cawthron in June 2012, providing strong science-based leadership. His experience in progressing core research through to practical industry solutions is well-suited to Cawthron's philosophy.
Charles' science background includes senior research and management positions overseas in multinational pharmaceutical companies, and experience in New Zealand with a Crown research institute, a university and a manufacturing business.
He has led a range of research groups in drug design, catchment management, conservation and product development. He has also played a major role overseas developing drugs for cardiovascular disease.
Whilst Research Director for Connovation Ltd he produced new pest control tools targeting introduced predators. As a Lincoln University professor he is retained as the Director of the Centre for Wildlife Management and Conservation and associated research aimed at better protecting endangered native species.
- Eason CT, Shapiro L, Ogilvie SC and Clout M 2015. Trends in Vertebrate Pesticide Use and the Importance of a Research Pipeline for Mammalian Pest Control in New Zealand. Prepared for Envirolink, MBIE on behalf of Northland Regional Council. 49 pages.
- Campbell KJ, Beek J, Eason CT, Glen AS, Godwin J, Gould F, Holmes ND, Howald GR, Madden FM, Ponder JB, Threadgill DW, Wegmann AS and Baxter GS 2014. The next generation of rodent eradications: Innovative technologies and tools to improve species specificity and increase their feasibility on islands. Biological Conservation 185 (2015) 47-58. Special issue article - tropical rat eradication http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2014.10.016 .
- Eason CT, Miller A, Duncan M and Murphy EA 2014. Toxicology and ecotoxicology of PAPP for pest control in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 38(2) : 177-188.
- Blackie HM, MacKay WB, Allan WJ, Smith DHV, Barrett B, Whyte BI, Murphy EC, Ross J, Shapiro L, Ogilvie SC, Sam S, MacMorran D, Inder S and Eason CT 2014. Innovative developments for long-term mammalian pest control. Pest Management Science. Volume 70, Issue 3. Pages 345 - 351. DOI 10.1002/ps.3627.
- Rennison D, Conole D, Tingle MD, Yang J, Eason CT and Brimble MA 2014. Synthesis and methemoglobinemia-inducing properties of analogues of para-aminopropiophenone designed as humane rodenticides. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 23(24):6629–6635.
- Allen W, Ogilvie SC, Blackie H, Smith D, Sam S, Doherty J, McKenzie D, Ataria J, Shapiro L, MacKay J, Murphy E, Jacobson C and Eason CT 2014. Bridging disciplines, knowledge systems and cultures in pest management. Environmental Managament. Volume: 53, Issue 2. Pages 429-440. February 2014. DOI 10.1007/s00267-013-0180-z. Published online 13 October 2013.
- Conole D, Beck TM, Jay-Smith M, Tingle MD, Eason CT, Brimble MA and others 2014. Synthesis and methemoglobinemia-inducing properties of benzocaine isosteres designed as humane rodenticides. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 22(7), 2220-2235.
- Crowell M, Eason CT, Hix S, Broome K, Fairweather A, Moltchanova E, Ross J and Murphy E 2013. First generation anticoagulant rodenticide persistence in large mammals and implications for wildlife management. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, DOI:10.1080/03014223.2012.746234.
- Fairweather AAC, Eason CT, Elder PA, Eason CMF and Arthur D 2013. Reference concentrations of cholecalciferol in animals: a basis for establishing non-target exposure. New Zealand Journal of Zoology. Volume 40, Issue 4. Pages 280 - 289.
- Crowell MD, Broome KG, Eason CT, Fairweather AAC, Ogilvie SC and Murphy EC 2013. How long do vertebrate pesticides persist in living mammals? Priorities for research. DOC Research and Development Series 337. Department of Conservation, Wellington. 18 pages.
- Eason CT, Ross J and Miller A 2013. Secondary poisoning risks from 1080-poisoned carcasses and risk of trophic transfer - a review. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 40(3), 217-225.
- Eason CT, Fairweather A, Ogilvie SC, Blackie H and Miller A 2013. A review of recent non-target toxicity testing vertebrate pesticides: establishing generic guidelines. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 40(3), 226-235.
- Eason CT, Ross J, Blackie H and Fairweather A 2012. Toxicology and ecotoxicology of zinc phosphide as used for pest control in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 37(1): 1-11.
- Hix S, Aylett P, Shapiro L, MacMorran D, Eason CT, Sam S, Ross J, Miller A and Ogilvie SC 2012. Low dose cholecalciferol bait for possum and rodent control. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 55(3): 207-215.
- Eason CT, Miller A, Ogilvie SC and Fairweather A 2011. An updated review of the toxicology and ecotoxicology of 1080 in relation to its use as a pest control tool in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 35 (1): 1-20.
- Lapidge SJ, Eason CT and Humphrys ST 2010. A review of chemical, biological and fertility control options for the camel in Australia. Rangeland Research 32:1-21.
- Eason CT, Shapiro L, Adams P, Cunningham C, MacMorran D, Statham M and Statham S 2010. Advancing a humane alternative to sodium fluoroacetate (1080) for wildlife management. Wildlife research 37, 497–503.
- Eason CT, Fagerstone KA, Eisemann JD, Humphrys S, O'Hare JR and Lapidge SJ 2010. A review of existing and potential New World and Australasian vertebrate pesticides with a rationale for linking use patterns to registration requirement. International Journal of Pest Management 56 (2): 109-125.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J, Waiwai J, Doherty J, Miller A, Ross J and Eason CT 2010. Vertebrate pesticide risk assessment by indigenous communities in New Zealand. Integrative Zoology. 1. 37-43.
- Eason CT, Henderson R, Hix S, MacMorran D, Miller A, Ross J and Ogilvie SC 2010. Alternatives to Brodifacoum for possum and rodent control - how and why. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 37: 175-183.
- Eason CT and Ogilvie SC 2009. A re-evaluation of potential rodenticides for aerial control of rodents. DOC Research & Development Series 312. 34 pages.
- Eason CT 1998. The relationship between the pharmacokinetics of amrinone in the marmoset and platelet effects. European Journal of Drug Metabolism & Pharmacokinetics 13(2):129‑133.
- Ogilvie SC, Pierce R, Wright GRG, Booth LH and Eason CT 1997. Brodifacoum residue analysis in water, soil, invertebrates and birds after rat eradication on Lady Alice Island. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 21(2): 195-197.
- Ogilvie SC, Hetzel F and Eason CT 1996. The effect of temperature on the biodegradation of sodium monofluroacetate (1080) in water and in Elodea canadensis. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 56: 942-947.
- Eason CT, Bonner FW and Parke DV 1990. The importance of pharmacokinetics and receptor studies in drug safety evaluation. Reg Tox & Pharmacology 11:288-307.