- MSc (Marine Science). University of Otago, 2002
- PGDipSci (Photonics). University of Otago, 1998
- BSc (Physics). University of Otago, 1997
Role at Cawthron
Ben is a marine biophysical scientist with over 10 years research and consulting experience in coastal systems in New Zealand and Europe. His primary area of expertise is the development and application of modelling and remote sensing tools to assist in finding sustainable resource use solutions for coastal marine systems. Ben thrives on finding interesting solutions to complex problems and presenting them in a clear and open format to ensure wide understanding of system dynamics and uncertainties.
Ben's expertise spans a wide range of activities including aquaculture, fisheries, coastal outfalls, energy generation and other coastal developments.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Modelling of water quality and harmful algal bloom dynamics
- Fisheries ecology
- Aquaculture effects
- Hydrodynamic model development
- Satellite remote sensing algorithm development
- Ecosystem and physical dynamics in coastal and estuarine systems
- Data mining and analysis to assist understanding of complex systems
- Development of web and phone applications for communicating scientific datasets.
- Co-Chair Climate-Fisheries Task Group – IndiSeas Scientific Programme (http://www.indiseas.org/)
- Member of New Zealand Marine Sciences Society
- Member of International Society for the Study of Harmful Algae
Conferences and presentations
Knight BR 2014. Fishing in New Zealand: Science, Ecology & Issues, Presentation for Seaweek Teachers Workshop 2014. 5 March 2014.
View Ben's profile on Google Scholar
- Fu C, Large S, Knight BR, Richardson AJ, Bundy A, Reygondeau G, Boldt J, van der Meeren GI, Torres MA, Sobrino I, Auber A, Travers-Trolet M, Piroddi C, Diallo I, Jouffre D, Mendes H, Borges MF, Lynam CP, Coll M, Shannon LJ and Shin YJ 2015. Relationships among fisheries exploitation, environmental conditions and ecological indicators across a series of marine ecosystems. Journal of Marine Systems 148 (2015) 101–111.
- Knight BR and Jiang W 2014. Use of remote sensing to monitor water quality in Hawke Bay. Cawthron Report 2443. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Council. 13 pages plus appendices.
- Knight BR, Keeley N and Taylor DI 2014. Aquaculture effects modelling in the Hauraki Gulf. Cawthron Report 2423. Prepared for Waikato Regional Council. 36 pages plus appendices.
- Gabrielsson RM and Knight BR 2014. Natal origin and life time movement patterns of brown trout in the lower Waikato River. Cawthron Report 2585. Prepared for Auckland / Waikato Fish & Game Council. 37 pages plus appendix.
- Knight BR 2014. CawthronEye: Web and android application for visualizing and displaying near real time satellite data for New Zealand. Web and android application for visualizing and displaying near real time satellite data for New Zealand (www.cawthron.org.nz/apps/cawthroneye).
- MacKenzie LA, Harwood DT, Tonks A, Robinson J and Knight BR 2013. Seafood safety risks from paralytic shellfish poisoning dionflagellate blooms in New Zealand: 2012-2013. Cawthron Report 2346. Prepared for the Ministry for Primary Industries, Food Safety.
- Jiang W and Knight BR 2013. Development of indicator bacteria web-tool for the Motueka River. (http://glimmer.rstudio.com/cawthronwebr/bactiMod/).
- Rhodes L, Jiang W, Knight BR, Adamson J, Smith KF, Langi V and Edgar M 2013. The genus Pseudo-nitzschia (Bacillariophyceae) in New Zealand: analysis of the last decade's monitoring data. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 47 (4): 490-503.
- Jones K, Jiang WM and Knight BR 2013. A review of sources and applications of satellite data for coastal waters of the Waikato Region. Cawthron Report 2334. Prepared for Waikato Regional Council. 47 pages plus appendices.
- Knight BR and Jiang W 2012. Indicator bacteria modelling decision support tool for recreational beaches affected by the Motueka River plume. Cawthron Report 2122. Prepared for Tasman District Council (TDC). 26 pages plus appendices.
- Knight BR and Beamsley B 2012. Calibration and methodology report for hydrodynamic models of the Marlborough Sounds. Cawthron Report 2028. Prepared for New Zealand King Salmon Company Limited. 42 pages plus appendices.
- Shin YJ, Bundy A, Shannon LJ, Blanchard JL, Chuenpagdee R, Coll M, Knight BR, Lynam C, Piet G and Richardson AJ 2012. Global in scope and regionally rich: an IndiSeas workshop helps shape the future of marine ecosystem indicators. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries: 1-11.
- Cornelisen CD, Gillespie PA, Kirs M, Young RG, Forrest RW, Barter PJ , Knight BR and Harwood VJ 2011. Motueka River plume facilitates transport of ruminant faecal contaminants into shellfish growing waters, Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 45(3): 477-495.
- Gillespie PA, Forrest RW, Knight BR, Cornelisen CD and Young RG 2011. Variation in nutrient loading from the Motueka River into Tasman Bay, New Zealand, 2005-2009: Implications for the river plume ecosystem. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45(3): 497-512.
- Dymond JR, Davie TJA, Fenemor AD, Ekanayake JC, Knight BR, Cole AO, Montes de Oca Munguia O, Allen WJ, Young RG, Basher LR, Dresser M and Batstone CJ 2010. Integrating environmental and socio-economic indicators of a linked catchment-coastal system using variable environmental intensity. Environmental Management 46(3): 484-493.
- Barter PJ , Beamsley B, Goring D, Johnson D, Knight BR, McComb P and Zyngfogel R 2010. East Clive wastewater outfall - Hydrodynamic modelling. Prepared for Hastings District Council, 107 pages.
- Knight BR, Goodwin E, Jiang W and Carbines G 2010. Development of settlement model for Marlborough Sounds Blue cod (Parapercis Colias). Cawthron Report 1707. Prepared for Ministry of Fisheries. 34 pages plus appendices.
- Keeley N, Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Gillespie PA, Knight BR, Webb SC, Clement D and Gardner J 2009. Review of the ecological effects of farming shellfish and other non-finfish species in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 1476. Prepared for New Zealand's Ministry of Fisheries.
- Heasman KG , Keeley N, Roberts B, Batstone CJ, Knight BR and Mussely H 2009. Feasibility of open ocean aquaculture in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 1481. 213 pages. Prepared for the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology and Offshore Technology Development (OTD) Ltd.
- Knight BR and Jiang W 2009. Assessing primary production constraints in New Zealand fisheries. Fisheries Research, 100(1): 15-25.
- Knight BR, Zyngfogel R and Forrest BM 2009. PartTracker – a fate analysis tool for marine particles. In Coasts and Ports. Wellington. 8 pages.
- Goodwin E, Cornelisen CD, Knight BR and Jiang W 2008. MTAD marine physical report: Forecasted effects of amended freshwater discharge on the low-salinity layer in Doubtful Sound. Cawthron Report 1533. Prepared for Meridian Energy Ltd. 150 pages plus appendices.
- Forrest BM, Keeley N, Gillespie PA, Hopkins GA, Knight BR and Govier D 2007. Review of the ecological effects of marine finfish aquaculture: final report. Prepared for Ministry of Fisheries. 71 pages.
- Knight BR, Keeley N and Gibbs MT 2006. Characterisation of the hydrodynamics at the Napier Mussels Ltd. site in Hawke's Bay.
- Tuckey B, Gibbs MT, Knight BR and Gillespie PA 2006. Tidal circulation in Tasman and Golden Bays: Implications for river plume behaviour. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 40(2): 305-324.