- Graduate Diploma in Chemistry. Waikato University
- National Diploma in Industrial Chemistry. Technical Industrial Institute 'Luigi dell'Erba', Italy 1991
- Assessed as a New Zealand National Diploma of Science (Level 5) by New Zealand Qualifications Authority
Role at Cawthron
Donato is an experienced analytical chemist who has specialised skills in the analysis of functional foods and pharmaceutical products, method development and validation.
He worked in the pharmaceutical industry in Italy for several years and has been a part of the research and development team at Cawthron for six years.
During this time Donato has developed and validated numerous analytical methods using a range of instrumentation, including:
- liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS)
- Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC-MS)
- high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
He has worked on specialist projects that involved developing analytical methods for active compounds such as carotenoids, polyphenols and vitamins in food matrices and other biological samples. Donato has provided analytical testing support to several key New Zealand industries (including dairy and nutraceutical) and food safety regulators.
- Expert in HPLC, LC-MS and GC analysis
- Development of analytical methods using spectroscopic and chromatographic techniques
- Specialised in analysis of natural compounds
- Method validations according to Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC), ISO, Eurachem, good manufacturing practice (GMP)
- Familiar with the use of all major chromatographic instrumentation
- Knowledge of US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), US Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) and EP regulations
Selected special achievements
- Development and validation of an analytical method for simultaneous determination of fat soluble vitamins in food matrices by RP-HPLC and PDA-FLD detector. September 2006.
- Development and GMP validation of an analytical method for the analysis of ascorbic acid in multivitamin/multimineral capsules. April 2006.
- Development and validation to cGMP standards of an RP-HPLC method for determination of flavonoids in raw propoli and propoli extract. August 2007.
- Development and validation of an LC-MS/MS method for simultaneous determination of water soluble vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7 and B9 ) in food matrices. The method developed was validated and IANZ accredited. Cawthron report N. 1503. September 2008.
- Development of an analytical method for extraction and determination of α-carotene and β-carotene in food matrices and nutraceuticals products by HPLC-PDA. March 2009.
- Development of an analytical method for extraction and simultaneous determination of antioxidant compounds (Astaxanthin, Lutein, Canthaxanthin, β-carotene) in Haematococcus sp. algae and algae extract by RP-HPLC-PDA. April 2010.
- Yanzhu T, Donato Romanazzi, Miyashita K and Hosokawa M 2016. Bioconversion of docosapentaenoic acid in human cell lines, Caco-2, HepG2, and THP-1. Journal of Oleo Science. Volume 65, Issue 12. Pages 1017-1022.
- Beuzenberg V, Goodwin E, Puddick J, Donato Romanazzi, Adams SL and Packer MA 2016. Optimising conditions for growth and xanthophyll production in continuous culture of Tisochrysis lutea using photobioreactor arrays and central composite design experiments. New Zealand Journal of Botany, DOI: 10.1080/0028825X.2016.1238398.
- Uchida H, Matsushima R-R, Suzuki T, Itabashi Y, Watanabe R, Hosokawa M and Donato Romanazzi 2016. Simple and rapid analysis of furan fatty acids from marine lipids by HPLC/PDA/QTOFMS. Japanese Society of Fisheries Science Meeting – Tokyo, Japan. March 2016.
- Yanzhu T, Hosokawa M, Miyashita K and Donato Romanazzi 2015. Comparative study of metabolism and accumulation of n-3 docosapentaenoic acid in different cell lines. 54th Japan Oil Chemists’ Society Annual Meeting – Nagoya, Japan September 2015.
- Donato Romanazzi 2013. Ensuring product integrity through analytical excellence: A case study on olive leaf extract and propolis. The Annual New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology Conference – Napier, New Zealand. July, 2013.
- Donato Romanazzi 2012. Identification of major phenolic compounds in olive leaf extract using UPLC and LC-MS. International Conference and Exhibition on Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods. International Conference and Exhibition on Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods – Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. December 2012.