- PhD (Ecotoxicology). University of Bordeaux 1
Role at Cawthron
Olivier is a scientist in the Coastal and Freshwater Group at Cawthron. He assesses contamination and environmental risks in water and soil with Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) standardised tests and biomarkers in a range of freshwater, marine and soil organisms. He also develops assays using New Zealand native species.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Link between biomarker responses and impact on the whole organism and populations
- Effects of multiple stressors and mixtures toxicity
- Biomonitoring of ecosystems health with biomarkers to provide support for environmental management decisions
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- Royal Society of New Zealand
Conference papers and presentations
Ataria J, Champeau O, Kume G, Trainor R, Northcott G, Tremblay L. Eels as biomonitor species in the Mataura River, New Zealand. Poster presented at the 5th SETAC World, Sydney, Australia, 3-7 August 2008 and the 29th SETAC North America, Tampa, Florida, USA, 16-20 November 2008.
Champeau O, Morin B, Bodian L, Nunes Figueiredo C, Soler Ph, Saint-Denis M, Ribera D. Genotoxicity biomarkers for soil toxicity monitoring. Poster presented at the 17th SETAC – Europe, Porto, Portugal, 20-24 May 2007.
- Olivier Champeau and Tremblay LA 2013. Ecotoxicity review of 26 pesticides. Cawthron Report 2357. Prepared for Nelson City Council.
- Tremblay LA, Olivier Champeau, Biessy L, Bowater J and Northcott GL 2013. Risk assessment of chemicals in household products. Centre for Integrated Biowaste Research. Publication number 04.
- Olivier Champeau, Auffret M, Cajaraville MP, Bassères A and Narbonne J-F 2007. Immuno and cytotoxicologial responses on the Asian clam Corbicula fluminea (M.) experimentally exposed to cadmium. Biomarkers, 12(2),173-187.
- Olivier Champeau and Narbonne J-F 2006. Exposure to TBT and 17b- estradiol of the Asian clam Corbicula fluminea. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, 21 (3), 323-330.
- Narbonne JF, Aarab N, Clérandeau C, Daubèze M, Narbonne J, Olivier Champeau and Garrigues P 2005. Scale of classification based on biochemical markers in mussel: application to pollution monitoring in Mediterranean coasts and temporal trends. Biomarkers, 10 (1), 58-71.