- PhD. University of Guelph
- MSc. McGill University
- BSc. University of Montreal
Role at Cawthron
Louis is an environmental toxicologist in the Coastal and Freshwater Group. He is involved in the development of methodologies to characterise the effects of anthropogenic stressors on the receiving environment. His research involves assessment of the toxicity of contaminants and complex mixtures, like sewage effluent.
Louis' main area of interest is the characterisation of the mechanisms of toxicity of microcontaminants on key New Zealand species.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Development of biomarkers in New Zealand native species
- Methodologies based on different levels of biological organisation, from molecular to whole animal, to characterise the effects of contaminants
- Research approach based on the integration of the quadruple bottom line to generate acceptable environmental management options
- Risk assessment of endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) and remerging contaminants, such as pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs)
- Risk of multiple stressors and complex mixtures
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society
- Royal Society of New Zealand
- Stringer TJ, Glover CN, Keesing V, Northcott GL, Gaw S and Tremblay LA 2014. Development of acute and chronic sediment bioassays with the harpacticoid copepod Quinquelaophonte sp. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 99: 82-91.
- Scott PD, Bartkow M, Blockwell SJ, Coleman HM, Khan SJ, Lim R, McDonald JA, Nice H, Nugegoda D, Pettigrove V, Tremblay LA, Warne M and Leusch FD 2014. A national survey of trace organic contaminants in Australian rivers. Journal of Environmental Quality. Pages 1702 - 1712. Sep Oct 2014. doi:10.2134/jeq2014.01.0012.
- Olivier Champeau and Tremblay LA 2013. Ecotoxicity review of 26 pesticides. Cawthron Report 2357. Prepared for Nelson City Council.
- Tremblay LA, Challenger I, Ataria J, Horswell J and Baker V 2013. Up-the-Pipe Solutions - a best practice protocol. Centre for Integrated Biowaste Research. Publication number 8.
- Clark D, Barter PJ , Clement D, Tremblay LA and Forrest RW 2013. Whareroa marine outfall ecological investigation 2012. Cawthron Report 2348. 83 pages plus appendices.
- Tremblay LA, Olivier Champeau, Biessy L, Bowater J and Northcott GL 2013. Risk assessment of chemicals in household products. Centre for Integrated Biowaste Research. Publication number 04.
- Wood SA, Smith KF, Banks JC, Tremblay LA, Rhodes L, Mountfort D, Cary CS and Pochon X 2013. Molecular genetic tools for environmental monitoring of New Zealand's aquatic habitats - past, present and the future. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 47(1): 90-119.
- Tremblay LA 2012. International mobility fund activity report: Broader uses of the zebrafish model in ecological risk assessment (ERA). Cawthron Report 2249. Prepared for Royal Society of New Zealand.
- Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Tremblay LA 2011. Overview of marine biosecurity risks from finfish aquaculture development in the Waikato Region. Waikato Regional Council Technical Report, TR 2011/22. 94 pages.
- Leusch FDL, de Jager C, Puijker L, Levi Y, Lim R, Tremblay LA, Wilson VS, Sacher F and Chapman HF 2010. Comparison of five in vitro bioassays to measure estrogenic activity in environmental waters. Environmental Science & Technology. 44: 3853-3860.
- Gadd JB, Northcott GL and Tremblay LA 2010. Passive secondary biological treatment systems reduce estrogens in dairy shed effluent. Environmental Science & Technology. 44: 7601- 7606.
- Novis P, Halle C, Wilson B and Tremblay LA 2009. Identification and characterisation of freshwater algae isolated from a pollution gradient using rbcL sequences and toxicity testing. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 57:504-514.
- Rawson CA, Tremblay LA, Warne MSt.J, Kookana RS, Ying G-G, Laginestra E, Chapman JC and Lim RP 2009. Bioactivity of POPs and their effects in mosquitofish in Sydney Olympic Park, Australia. Science of the Total Environment 407:3721-3730.
- Allen W, Ataria J, Apgar JM, Harmsworth G and Tremblay LA 2009. Kia pono te mahi pūtaiao – Doing science in the right spirit. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand. 39: 239–242.
- Tan BLL, Hawker DW, Müller JF, Tremblay LA and Chapman HF 2008. Stir bar sorptive extraction and trace analysis of selected endocrine disruptors in water, biosolids and sludge samples by thermal desorption with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Water Research. 42:404-412.
- Hack LA, Tremblay LA, Wratten SD, Forrester G and Keesing V 2008. Toxicity of estuarine sediments using a full life-cycle bioassay with the marine copepod Robertsonia propinqua. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 70:469- 474.
- Van den Heuvel MR, Michel C, Stevens MI, Clarke AC, Stölting KN, Hicks BJ and Tremblay LA 2007. Monitoring the effects of pulp and paper effluent is restricted in genetically distinct populations of common bully (Gobiomorphus cotidianus) . Environmental Science & Technology. 41:2602-2608.
- Leusch FDL, Chapman HF, Van den Heuvel MR, Tan BLL, Gooneratne SR and Tremblay LA 2006. Bioassay-derived androgenic and estrogenic activity in municipal sewage in Australia and New Zealand. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 65:403-411.