- PhD. Otago University, 2008
- MSc (Hons). University of Canterbury, 2002
- BSc. University of Canterbuy, 1999
Role at Cawthron
Tim is a marine toxin chemist and co-leader of the Safe New Zealand Seafood research programme. His research interests include natural toxin accumulation in food gathered from both marine and terrestrial environments.
Tim’s specialist areas of expertise include analysis of marine toxins, analytical method development and validation, natural product isolation and structural elucidation. He completed his post-graduate degrees at University of Canterbury and Christchurch School of Medicine before taking a position at Sydney's ANZAC Research Institute, establishing novel liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry methods to accurately measure endogenous steroid levels from blood and tissue.
Since joining Cawthron in 2010, Tim has worked on projects investigating several natural toxins that are known to contaminate food, including those found in New Zealand honey (tutin and pyrrolizidine alkaloids) and shellfish (paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins). He maintains active research links with the ANZAC Research Institute, on projects associated with the analysis of androgens and estrogens.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Development and validation of analytical methods
- Natural toxin isolation and quantitation
- Antioxidant and steroid analysis
View Tim's ResearchGate profile
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Murray S, Harwood DT, Trnski T and Munday R 2017. The epiphytic genus Gambierdiscus (Dinophyceae) in the Kermadec Islands and Zealandia regions of the Southwestern Pacific and the associated risk of Ciguatera Fish Poisoning. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 7. Page 219.
- Munday R, Murray S, Rhodes L, Larsson ME and Harwood DT 2017. Ciguatoxins and maitotoxins in extracts of sixteen Gambierdiscus isolates and one Fukuyoa isolate from the South Pacific and their toxicity to mice by intraperitoneal and oral administration. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 7. Page 208.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Verma A, Curley BG, Harwood DT, Murray S and Kohli GS, Solomona D, Rongo T, Munday R, Murray SA 2017. A new species of Gambierdiscus (Dinophyceae) from the south-west Pacific: Gambierdiscus honu sp. nov. . Harmful Algae. Volume 65. Pages 61-70.
- McLeod C, Dowsett N, Hallegraeff G, Harwood DT, Hay B, Ibbott S, Malhi N, Murray S, Smith KF and Tan J, Turnbull A 2017. Accumulation and depuration of paralytic shellfish toxins by Australian abalone Haliotis rubra: Conclusive association with Gymnodinium catenatum dinoflagellate blooms. Food Control. Volume 73, Part B. Pages 971-980.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Harwood DT, Murray S and Biessy L 2017. Is Gambierdiscus expanding its geographic range in the Pacific region. Harmful Algae News. Issue 56. Pages 1-4.
- Selwood AI, Waugh C, Harwood DT, Rhodes L and Reeve J, Sim J, Munday R 2017. Acute toxicities of the saxitoxin congeners gonyautoxin 5, gonyautoxin 6, decarbamoyl gonyautoxin 2&3, decarbamoyl neosaxitoxin, C-1&2 and C-3&4 to mice by various routes of administration. Toxins. Volume 9, Issue 2. Page 73.
- Ajani P, Harwood DT and Murray SA 2017 2017. Recent trends in marine phycotoxins from Australian coastal waters. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 2.
- Dorantes-Aranda JJ, Campbell K, Bradbury A, Elliott CT, Harwood DT and Murray SA, Ugalde SC, Wilson K, Burgoyne M, Hallegraeff GM 2017. Comparative performance of four immunological test kits for the detection of paralytic shellfish toxins in Tasmanian shellfish. Toxicon. Volume 125. Pages 110-119.
- Kretzschmar AL, Verma A, Harwood DT and Hoppenrath M, Murray S 2017. Characterization of Gambierdiscus lapillus sp. nov. (Gonyaulacales, Dinophyceae): a new toxic dinoflagellate from the Great Barrier Reef (Australia). Journal of Phycology. Volume 53, Issue 2. Pages 283-297.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Verma A, Murray S, Harwood DT and Trnski T 2017. The dinoflagellate genera Gambierdiscus and Ostreopsis from subtropical Raoul Island and North Meyer Island, Kermadec Islands. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. Pages 1-15. Published online.
- Kohli GS, Haslauer K, Sarowar C, Kretzschmar AL, Boulter M, Harwood DT and Laczka O, Murray SA 2017. Qualitative and quantitative assessment of the presence of ciguatoxin, P-CTX-1B, in Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus commerson) from waters in New South Wales (Australia). Toxicology Reports. Volume 4. Pages 328-334.
- Farrell H, Seebacher F, O'Connor W, Zammit A, Harwood DT and Murray S 2015. Warm temperature acclimation impacts metabolism of paralytic shellfish toxins from Alexandrium in commercial oysters. Global Change Biology.
- Boundy M, Selwood AI, Harwood DT, McNabb PS and Turner AD 2015. Development of a sensitive liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method for high throughput analysis of paralytic shellfish toxins using graphitised carbon solid phase extraction. Journal of Chromatography A. 1387: 1-12.
- Turner AD, McNabb PS, Harwood DT, Selwood AI and Boundy M 2015. Single laboratory validation of a multi-toxin UPLC-HILIC-MS/MS method for quantitation of paralytic shellfish toxins in bivalve shellfish.
- Harwood DT, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Waugh C, McNabb PS, Munday R, Hay B, Quilliam MA, Malhi N, Dowsett N and McLeod C 2014. Paralytic shellfish toxins, including deoxydecarbamoyl-STX, in wild-caught Tasmanian abalone (Haliotis rubra). Toxicon 90: 213-225.
- Harwood DT, Shi F, Satake M and Holland PT 2014. A sensitive LC-MS/MS assay for brevisulcenal and brevisulcatic acid toxins produced by the dinoflagellate Karenia brevisulcata. Toxicon 84, 19-27.
- Keski-Rahkonen P, Huhtinen K, Desai R, Harwood DT, Handelsman DJ, Poutanen M and Auriola S 2013. LC-MS analysis of estradiol in human serum and endometrial tissue. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 48: Pages 1050-1058.
- Harwood DT, Boundy M, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, MacKenzie LA and McNabb P 2013. Refinement and implementation of the Lawrence method (AOAC 2005.06) in a commercial laboratory: Assay performance during an Alexandrium catenella bloom event. Harmful Algae 24: 20-31.
- Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Harwood DT, McNabb PS, Rhodes L and Holland PT 2012. A sensitive assay for palytoxins, ovatoxins and ostreocins using LC-MS/MS analysis of cleavage fragments from micro-scale oxidation. Toxicon 60(5): Pages 810-820 .
- Harwood DT, Darlow BA, Cheah FC, McNeill N, Graham P and Winterbourn CC 2011. Biomarkers of neutrophil-mediated glutathione and protein oxidation in tracheal aspirates from preterm infants: association with bacterial infection. Pediatric Research 69, 1 (2011) 28-33.
- Idan A, Griffiths KA, Harwood DT, Seibel MJ, Turner L, Conway AJ and Handelsman DJ 2010. Long-term effects of dihydrotestosterone treatment on prostate growth in healthy, middle-aged men without prostate disease: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 153, 10 (2010) 621-646.
- Harwood DT and Handelsman DJ 2009. Development and validation of a sensitive liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry assay to simultaneously measure androgens and estrogens in serum without derivatization. Clinica Chimica Acta, 409 (2009) 78-84.