- PhD (Marine Biology), Université de Bretagne Occidentale (Brest), France, 2015
- DESTA (Aquaculture engineering), CNAM / Université de Montpellier II, France, 2005
Role at Cawthron
Julien is a shellfish biologist and bivalve hatchery specialist. Julien has joined the Cawthron Aquaculture Group and more specifically the Cultured Shellfish Programme as a research scientist and is delighted to be able to apply his Research & Development expertise in shellfish aquaculture to the development of New-Zealand aquaculture industry.
Julien is currently involved in R&D projects, supporting directly the industry, looking at optimization of hatchery production processes of oyster spat; alternative methods for triploidy induction (4N method); geoduck spat production; and, selective breeding of flat oysters for Bonamia resistance.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Shellfish hatchery production focusing on reproduction and larval development and optimization of hatchery processes
- Development of rearing protocols and innovative systems for “new” species of interest for aquaculture
- Sustainable aquaculture (e.g. IMTA systems)
- Mollusc ecotoxicology (oil/PAHs, pesticides, biotoxins & HAB)
- Shellfish physiology
- Vignier J, Rolton A, Soudant P, Fu-lin EC, Robert R and Volety AK 2018. Evaluation of toxicity of Deepwater Horizon slick oil on spat of the oyster Crassostrea virginica. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. Volume 25, Issue 2. Pages 1176-1190.
- Vignier J and Soudant P, Chu FLE, Morris JM, Carney Lay C, Krasnec M, Robert R, Volety AK 2017. Sensitivity of Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) spermatozoa and oocytes to dispersed oil: cellular responses and impacts on fertilization and embryogenesis. Environmental Pollution. Volume 225. Pages 270-282.
- Robert R, Vignier J and Petton B 2017. Influence of temperature and feeding regime on larval development and settlement of Ostrea edulis larvae. Aquaculture Research, published online.
- Vignier J and Soudant P, Chu FLE, Morris JM, Carney Lay C, Krasnec M, Robert R, Volety AK 2016. Lethal and sublethal effects of Deepwater Horizon slick oil and dispersant on oyster (Crassostrea virginica) larvae. Marine Environmental Research. Volume 120. Pages 20-31.
- Rolton A, Vignier J and Volety AK, Pierce R, Henry M, Shumway S, Bricelj M, Hégaret H, Soudant P 2016. Effects of field and laboratory exposure to the toxic dinoflagellate Karenia brevis on the reproduction of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica, and subsequent development of offspring. Harmful algae. Volume 57, Part A. Pages 13-26.
- Volety AK, Boulais M, Donaghy L, Vignier J and Soudant P 2016. Application of flow-cytometry to assess Deepwater Horizon oil toxicity on the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica. Journal of Shellfish Research. Volume 35, Issue 1. Pages 91-99.
- Vignier J and Donaghy L, Soudant P, Chu FLE, Morris JM, Carney MW, Lay C, Krasnec M, Robert R, Volety AK 2015. Impacts of Deepwater Horizon oil and dispersant on early development of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Volume 100, Issue 1. Pages 426-437.
- Rolton A, Soudant P, Vignier J and Pierce R, Henry M, Shumway S, Bricelj M, Volety AK 2015. Susceptibility of gametes and embryos of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica, to Karenia brevis and its toxins. Toxicon. Volume 99. Pages 6-15.
- Rolton A, Vignier J and Soudant P, Shumway S, Bricelj M, Volety A 2014. Effects of the red tide dinoflagellate, Karenia brevis, on early development of the eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica and Northern Quahog Mercenaria mercenaria. Aquatic Toxicology. Volume 155. Pages 199-206.
- Carboni S, Kelly MS, Hughes AD, Vignier J and Atack T, Migaud H 2012. Evaluation of flow-through culture technique for commercial production of sea urchin (Paracentrotus lividus) larvae. Aquaculture Research. Volume 45, Issue 4. Pages 768-772.
- Carboni S, Vignier J and Chiantore M, Tocher DR, Migaud H 2012. Effects of dietary microalgae on growth, survival and fatty acid composition of sea urchin Paracentrotus lividus throughout larval development. Aquaculture. Volume 324-325. Pages 250-258.