- BSc (Hons, Biochemistry). Otago University, 1997
Role at Cawthron
Eric combines skills in scientific analysis and computing with a rigorous and critical analytical technique, and an ability to communicate to audiences with varied familiarity of a topic.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Complex system behaviour
- Modelling life systems and generating behaviour
- Low impact solutions/green technologies
- Alternative energy systems
- Ecosystems structure and behaviour
- Software development
- Origin and thermodynamics of life
- Introduction of sustainability initiatives
- Development of framework for assessment of aquaculture sustainability
- Physical oceanographic monitoring of a world heritage site
- A modelling architecture for subcellular processes to reduce animal testing in the pharmaceutical industry
- Image analysis software for finfish and shellfish quality control systems
- Signal transduction models contributing to cancer treatment research
- Behaviour generation technologies for artificial-life protagonists of a popular computer game
- Genetic transformation of an ornamental species to modify floral pigmentation
- Clapcott JE, Goodwin E, Snelder TH, Collier KJ and Neale WN 2016. Finding reference: a comparison of modelling approaches for predicting benchmarks for macroinvertebrate community metrics. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research.
- Hayes JW, Goodwin E, Shearer KA, Hay J and Kelly L 2016. Can WUA correctly predict the flow requirements of drift-feeding trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. Volume 145, Issue 3, 2016. Pages 589-609.
- Clapcott JE, Goodwin E and Harding J 2016. Identifying catchment-scale predictors of coal mining impacts on New Zealand stream communities. Environmental Management. Volume 57. Pages 711-721.
- Clark D, Goodwin E, Sinner J, Ellis J and Singh G 2016. Validation and limitations of a cumulative impact model for an estuary. Ocean & Coastal Management. Volume 120. Pages 88-98.
- Hayes JW, Hay J, Goodwin E, Hughes N and Kelly L 2014. Invertebrate drift and salmonid foraging models.
- Hayes JW, Shearer KA, Goodwin E, Hay J, Allen CA, Olsen DA and Jowett IG 2014. Test of a benthic macroinvertebrate habitat – flow time series model incorporating disturbance and recovery processes. Rivers, Research and Applications. Article first published online: 14 May 2014.
- Clapcott JE, Goodwin E, Young RG and Kelly D 2014. A multi-metric approach for predicting the ecological integrity of New Zealand streams.
- Holmes R, Goodwin E and Hayes JW 2013. Development of a GIS-based index to assess riparian habitat quality in a dairy best practice catchment. Cawthron Report 2350. Prepared for DairyNZ .
- Keeley N, Cromey CJ, Goodwin E, Gibbs MT and Macleod CM 2013. Predictive depositional modelling (DEPOMOD) of the interactive effect of current flow and resuspension on ecological impacts beneath salmon farms. Aquaculture Environment Interactions 3(3): 275-291.
- Goodwin E and Clapcott JE 2013. Predictive models of benthic macroinvertebrate metrics for Waikato and Auckland regions. Cawthron Report 2377. Prepared for Waikato Regional Council and Auckland Council. 55 pages.
- Clapcott JE, Goodwin E and Snelder T 2013. Predictive models of benthic macroinvertebrate metrics. Cawthron Report 2301. Prepared for Ministry for the Environment. 32 pages.
- Wagenhoff A, Clapcott JE and Goodwin E 2012. Review of river ecosystem threshold models. Cawthron Report 2259. Prepared for the 'management of cumulative effects of stressors on aquatic ecosystems' research programme (C01X1005). 41 pages.
- Mussely H and Goodwin E 2012. Feasibility of land-based aquaculture in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 2094. Cawthron Institute Internal Investment Fund.
- Clapcott JE, Collier KJ, Death RG, Goodwin E, Harding JS, Kelly D, Leathwick JR and Young RG 2012. Quantifying relationships between land-use gradients and structural and functional indicators of stream ecological integrity. Freshwater Biology 57(1): 74-90.
- Clark D, Newcombe EM, Forrest RW, Keeley N, Taylor DI, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2012. Stage one development of subzones (I) and (K) in Tasman Bay AMA 3: Summary Report - Addendum. Cawthron Report 2176A. Prepared for Tasman Mussels Limited and Tasman Bay Ring Road Farming Limited. 70 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Newcombe EM, Forrest RW, Keeley N, Taylor DI, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2012. Stage one development of subzones (P) and (Q) in Golden Bay AMA 2: Summary Report. Prepared for Golden Bay Ring Road Farming Ltd. 73 pages plus appendices.
- Goodwin E and Cornelisen CD 2012. Near-surface water temperatures in Doubtful Sound and response to natural and anthropogenic drivers. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 46(3): 411-429.
- Sinner J, Clark D, Ellis J, Roberts B, Jiang W, Goodwin E, Hale L, Rolleston S, Patterson M, Hardy D, Prouse E and Brown S 2011. Health of Te Awanui Tauranga harbour. Cawthron Report 1969. Manaaki Taha Moana Research Report 1. 129 pages.
- Dunmore R, Goodwin E and Clark D 2011. Physical and biological monitoring in Doubtful Sound 2010-2011. Cawthron Report 2009. Prepared for Meridian Energy. 55 pages plus appendices.
- Batstone CJ, Baines J, Goodwin E, Morgan B and Canard T 2011. Methods for developing indicator systems for freshwater and estuarine receiving bodies of urban stormwater. Cawthron Report 1874.
- Clapcott JE, Young RG, Goodwin E, Leathwick JR and Kelly D 2011. Relationships between multiple land-use pressures and individual and combined indicators of stream ecological integrity. Department of Conservation, Wellington. DOC Research and Development Series 326. 57 pages.
- Clapcott JE, Young RG, Goodwin E and Leathwick JR 2010. Exploring the response of functional indicators of stream ecological integrity to land-use pressure gradients. Freshwater Biology 55 (10): 2181-2199.
- Goodwin E and Mussely H 2010. New tool to identify sites for land-based aquaculture. New Zealand Aquaculture Magazine. Issue 34 (March/April 2010).
- Knight BR, Goodwin E, Jiang W and Carbines G 2010. Development of settlement model for Marlborough Sounds Blue cod (Parapercis Colias). Cawthron Report 1707. Prepared for Ministry of Fisheries. 34 pages plus appendices.
- Batstone CJ, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2009. Marlborough Sounds recreational fisher characterisation. Cawthron Report 1647. Prepared for the Ministry of Fisheries, New Zealand.
- Clapcott JE, Young RG, Goodwin E and Leathwick J 2009. Exploring the response of functional indicators of stream ecological integrity to land-use pressure gradients. Cawthron Report 1611. Prepared for Department of Conservation. 38 pages.
- Goodwin E, Cornelisen CD, Knight BR and Jiang W 2008. MTAD marine physical report: Forecasted effects of amended freshwater discharge on the low-salinity layer in Doubtful Sound. Cawthron Report 1533. Prepared for Meridian Energy Ltd. 150 pages plus appendices.
- Cornelisen CD, Clark K, Jiang W, Goodwin E, Roberts B and Dunmore R 2007. Assessment of 2MTT discharge effects in Doubtful Sound: Physical and biological monitoring. Cawthron Report 1390. Prepared for Meridian Energy. 62 pages plus appendices.