- PhD (Ecology and Environmental Sciences) Coastal Research and Planning Institute, Klaipeda University, Lithuania, 2009
- MSc (Ecology and Environmental Sciences) Klaipeda University, 2003
- BSc (Ecology and Environmental Sciences) Klaipeda University, 2001
Role at Cawthron
Anastasija is a member of the Biosecurity Team in Cawthron’s Coastal and Freshwater Group. She has 10+ years’ research expertise and has been involved in a number of large-scale international research projects aimed at assessing the effects of human activities on aquatic ecosystems (freshwater, estuarine and marine), impacts of invasive species. At Cawthron Anastasija has been participating in the development and validation of molecular tools for the routine environmental monitoring in aquatic ecosystems, ecological health indicators and a range of projects focusing on different biosecurity aspects.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- marine ecology and biosecurity
- ecology and impacts of invasive species
- ecosystem functioning
- environmental health assessment
- environmental DNA barcoding and biomonitoring
- high throughput sequencing
- ecology of benthic communities
- ballast water and shipping introduction pathways
- Ardura I, Zaiko A, Morán P, Planes S and Garcia-Vazque E 2017. Epigenetic signatures of invasive status in populations of marine invertebrates. Scientific Reports. Volume 7:42193.
- Rossberg AG, Uusitalo L, Berg T, Zaiko A, Chenuil A, Uyarra MC, Borja A and Lynam CP 2017. Quantitative criteria for choosing targets and indicators for sustainable use of ecosystems. Ecological Indicators. Volume 72. Pages 215-224.
- Teixeira H, Berg T, Uusitalo L, Fürhaupter K, Heiskanen A-S, Mazik K, Lynam CP, Neville S, Rodriguez JG, Papadopoulou N, Moncheva S, Churilova T, Kryvenko O, Krause-Jensen D, Zaiko A, Veríssimo H, Pantazi M, Carvalho S, Patrício J, Uyarra MC and Borja À 2016. A Catalogue of Marine Biodiversity Indicators. Frontiers in Marine Science. Volume 3, Article 207.
- Clusa L, Ardura A, Gower FJ, Miralles L, Tsartsianidou V, Zaiko A and Garcia-Vazquez E 2016. An Easy Phylogenetically Informative Method to Trace the Globally Invasive Potamopyrgus Mud Snail from River’s eDNA. PLoS ONE. Volume 11, Issue 10. e0162899.
- Oesterwind D, Rau A and Zaiko A 2016. Drivers and pressures – untangling the terms commonly used in marine science and policy. Journal of Environmental Management. Volume 181. Pages 8-15.
- Oesterwinda D, Raua A and Zaiko A 2016. Drivers and pressures e Untangling the terms commonly used in marine science and policy. Journal of Environmental Management. Volume 181 (2016). Pages 8-15.
- Zaiko A, Schimanski K, Pochon X, Hopkins GA, Goldstein S, Floerl O and Wood SA 2016. Metabarcoding improves detection of eukaryotes from early biofouling communities: implications for pest monitoring and pathway management. Biofouling. Volume 32, Issue 6. Pages 671-684.
- Atalah J, Newcombe EM and Zaiko A 2016. Biocontrol of fouling pests: effect of diversity, identity and density of control agents. Marine Environmental Research. Volume 115. Pages 20-27.
- Chuseve R, Nygard H, Vaiciute D, Daunys D and Zaiko A 2016. Application of signal detection theory approach for setting thresholds in benthic quality assessments. Ecological Indicators. Volume 60. Pages 420-427.
- Zaiko A, Martinez JL, Ardura A, Clusa A, Borrell YJ, Samuiloviene A, Roca A and Garcia-Vazquez E 2015. Detecting nuisance species using NGST: Methodology shortcomings and possible application in ballast water monitoring. Marine Environmental Research. Volume 112. Pages 64-72.
- Zaiko A, Samulioviene A, Ardura A and Garcia-Vazquez E 2015. Metabarcoding approach for nonindigenous species surveillance in marine coastal waters. Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 100, Pages 53-59.
- Zaiko A and Daunys D 2015. Invasive ecosystem engineers and biotic indices: giving a wrong impression of water quality improvement. Ecological Indicators. Volume 52. Pages 292-299.
- Pochon X, Zaiko A, Hopkins GA, Banks JC and Wood SA 2015. Early detection of eukaryotic communities from marine biofilm using high-throughput sequencing: an assessment of different sampling devices. Biofouling. Volume 31, Issue 3. Pages 241-251.
- Zaiko A, Martinez JL, Schmidt-Petersen J, Ribicic D, Samuloviene A and Garcia-Vazquez E 2015. Metabarcoding approach for the ballast water surveillance--an advantageous solution or an awkward challenge. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Volume 92. Pages 25-34.