- PostGrad Dip. (Occupational Medicine). Centre for Postgraduate Medical Education, Warsaw, Poland, 1979.
- MBChB (Physician). Medical University of Warsaw, Poland, 1972.
Role at Cawthron
Krystyna has been Curator of the Cawthron Institute Culture Collection of Microalgae (CICCM) since 1988. The collection is used as a database and source of cultures for the study of the species by researchers in New Zealand and internationally.
In her role, Krystyna maintains more than 450 live and cryopreserved cultures of microalgae contained in the collection. The collection supports research within Cawthron, particularly the study of harmful algal blooms, and is also used by other research institutes and universities within New Zealand and overseas.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Microalgae cultivation (19 years’ experience)
- Cryobank maintenance
- Distribution and sales of microalgae
- Maintaining the algal database
- Media preparation
- Algal growth assessment