- MSc (Distinction, Marine Science). University of Otago, 2009
- BSc (Zoology). University of Otago, 2007
Role at Cawthron
Dana is a marine ecologist within the Coastal and Freshwater Group. Her focus at Cawthron is on coastal ecology and management, particularly of soft sediment ecosystems, and assessing the environment impacts of aquaculture.
She is currently working on a Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) funded project, Oranga Taiao Oranga Tangata (OTOT), which aims to develop a spatial planning model for Tauranga Harbour. This model will produce spatially explicit future scenarios for the development of the catchment, pinpointing different land uses throughout the catchment and how these land uses give rise to different stressors on the harbour’s ecology. Associated with this project she is developing species distribution models for the harbour and assessing the utility of international biotic indices (e.g. AMBI, BQI) for assessing New Zealand’s estuarine health.
Previously, Dana was involved in the Manaaki Taha Moana (MTM) programme, focused in Tauranga and the Horowhenua Coast, which aimed to restore and enhance coastal ecosystems of importance to iwi through a better knowledge of these ecosystems and the degradation processes that affect them. She also played a key role in an MBIE-funded project to value the marine and coastal ecosystem services in Nelson Bays.
Dana also does a range of work for commercial clients including monitoring and impact assessments for aquaculture, ports and outfalls as well as estuary and reef monitoring.
- Smith AM, Clark D, Lamare MD, Winter DJ and Byrne M 2016. Risk and resilience: variations in magnesium in echinoid skeletal calcite. Marine Ecology Progress Series. Volume 561. Pages 1-16.
- Townsend M, Geange S, Lohrer A M, Clark D and Ellis J I 2016. Communicating the value of marine conservation using an ecosystem service matrix approach. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management. In review..
- Clark D, Goodwin E, Sinner J, Ellis J and Singh G 2016. Validation and limitations of a cumulative impact model for an estuary. Ocean & Coastal Management. Volume 120. Pages 88-98.
- Smith AM, Byrne M, Clark D, Lamare MD and Winter DJ 2016. Risk and Resilience: variations in magnesium in echinoid skeletal calcite. Marine Ecology Progress Series: In press.
- Clark D and Newcombe E 2016. Port Nelson Long-Term Monitoring Programme: 2016 survey. Prepared for Port Nelson Ltd and Nelson City Council. 18 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D 2016. Nelson Fisheries Outfall seabed effects survey 2016. Prepared for Sealord Group Ltd. 28 pages plus appendices.
- Morrisey D, Clark D and Sneddon R 2016. Port Nelson Calwell Slipway remediation: assessment of ecological effects. Prepared for GHD Ltd. 49 pages, plus appendix.
- Ellis JI, Hewitt JE, Clark D, Taiapa C, Patterson M, Sinner J, Hardy D and Thrush SF 2015. Assessing ecological community health in coastal estuarine systems impacted by multiple stressors. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. Volume 473. Pages 176-187.
- Newcombe EM, Clark D, Gillespie PA, Morrisey DJ and MacKenzie LA 2015. Assessing the state of the marine environment in Tasman Bay and Golden Bay. Prepared for Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council. 70 pages plus appendix.
- Newcombe E and Clark D 2015. Shellfish health surveys 2014: AMA 3B in Tasman Bay. Prepared for Tasman Bay Ring Road Farming Limited and stakeholders in AMA 3. 4 pages.
- Newcombe EM, Poutama M, Allen C, Smith H, Clark D, Atalah J, Spinks A, Ellis J and Sinner J 2014. Kaimoana on beaches from Hokio to Otaki, Horowhenua. Prepared for Taiao Raukawa and Manaaki Taha Moana. 40 pages plus appendices.
- Newcombe EM, Smith H, Poutama M, Clark D, Spinks A, Ellis J and Sinner J 2014. Faecal contamination of shellfish on the Horowhenua coast. Prepared for Taiao Raukawa and Manaaki Taha Moana. 15 pages.
- Clark D 2014. Nelson Bays Ecosystems Map. Prepared for Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. 19 pages plus appendices.
- Townsend M, Clark D, Lohrer D, Ellis J, Lundquist C, Hewitt J and Thrush S 2014. An ecosystem services matrix for New Zealand's coastal marine environment. Prepared for the Department of Conservation..
- Ellis J, Clark D, Sinner J, Asher R, Gower FJ and others 2013. Ecological Survey of Tauranga Harbour. Cawthron Report 2321. Prepared for Manaaki Taha Moana, Manaaki Taha Moana Research Report 13. 56 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Barter PJ , Clement D, Tremblay LA and Forrest RW 2013. Whareroa marine outfall ecological investigation 2012. Cawthron Report 2348. 83 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Keeley N, Dunmore D and Forrest RW 2012. Reef environmental monitoring results for the Clay Point and Te Pangu Salmon Farms. Cawthron Report 2077. Prepared for New Zealand King Salmon Company Limited. 12 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Newcombe EM, Forrest RW, Keeley N, Taylor DI, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2012. Stage one development of subzones (I) and (K) in Tasman Bay AMA 3: Summary Report - Addendum. Cawthron Report 2176A. Prepared for Tasman Mussels Limited and Tasman Bay Ring Road Farming Limited. 70 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Newcombe EM, Forrest RW, Keeley N, Taylor DI, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2012. Stage one development of subzones (P) and (Q) in Golden Bay AMA 2: Summary Report. Prepared for Golden Bay Ring Road Farming Ltd. 73 pages plus appendices.
- Gillespie PA, Clement D, Clark D and Asher R 2012. Nelson haven fine-scale benthic baseline 2012. Cawthron Report 2209. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 22 pages plus appendices.
- Sinner J, Clark D, Ellis J, Roberts B, Jiang W, Goodwin E, Hale L, Rolleston S, Patterson M, Hardy D, Prouse E and Brown S 2011. Health of Te Awanui Tauranga harbour. Cawthron Report 1969. Manaaki Taha Moana Research Report 1. 129 pages.
- Dunmore R, Goodwin E and Clark D 2011. Physical and biological monitoring in Doubtful Sound 2010-2011. Cawthron Report 2009. Prepared for Meridian Energy. 55 pages plus appendices.
- Sneddon R and Clark D 2011. Nelson Fisheries outfall seabed effects survey 2011. Cawthron Report 2029. Prepared for Sealord Group Ltd. 19 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D 2011. Green Island wastewater discharge: Review of offshore monitoring results 2010-2011. Cawthron Report 2067. Prepared for Dunedin City Council. 12 pages plus appendices.
- Smith A and Clark D 2010. Skeletal carbonate mineralogy of bryozoans from Chile: an independent check of phylogenetic patterns. Palaios 25:229-233.
- Clark D, Lamare M and Barker M 2009. Response of sea urchin pluteus larvae (Echinodermata: Echionoidea) to reduced seawater pH: a comparison among a tropical, temperate, and a polar species. Marine Biology 156:1125-1137.
- Clark D 2009. Response of sea urchin pluteus larvae (Echinodermata: Echinoidea) to reduced seawater pH: a comparison among tropical, temperate and polar species. MSc Thesis. University of Otago.