- Graduate Diploma in Chemistry. University of Waikato, 2015
- BAppSc. Otago Polytechnic, 2004
Role at Cawthron
Sam joined Cawthron in 2008 and brings a unique combination of technical and analytical expertise in both chemistry and microbiology to his role.
He has ten years' experience working in internationally accredited laboratories, which has involved a variety of technical roles as both a laboratory manager and technical consultant. Sam has managed method development and validation work on a range of instrumentation for various key primary industries in New Zealand.
More recently Sam has worked closely with developers of high end dairy nutritional powders and ingredients, which require customised analytical services to support their product development. The main focus of this work has been on developing analytical methods to measure specific health promoting bioactive compounds of interest.
- Analytical chemistry
- Environmental and food microbiology
- Method development and validation for HPLC, UPLC and LC-MS/MS instrumentation
- Method validation using qPCR techniques
- Experienced user of chromatographic instrumentation and mass spectrometers
- Knowledge of ISO17025, IANZ and LAS requirements and accreditation