- PhD (Biochemistry). Otago University, 1997
- MSc (Marine Science). Otago University, 1991
- BSc (Biochemistry). Otago University, 1988
Role at Cawthron
Mike is a senior research scientist in the Algal Biotechnology group. The areas of research Mike is involved in apply the latest biochemical and molecular cell biological techniques to product formation from algae. These include high-value products such as bioactives and functional foods.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Algal biology, high-value and commodity products from algae
- Algal and cyanobacterial production and harvesting systems
- Redox biochemistry and bioenergetics
- Algal production systems and photobioreactor technology
- Biological hydrogen production, biomass to bioenergy
- Photosynthetic microbial fuel cells
- Renewable energy, integrated value-chain design
- Member of the Royal Society of New Zealand President's Panel on Energy 2005–2007
- Inaugural member of the Oxygen Group (Ministry of Research, Science and Technology's Think Tank Group) 2004–2008
- Organising Committee of the Asia-Oceania Algal Innovation Summit
View Mike's ResearchGate profile
- Plouviez M, Shilton A, Packer MA and Guieysse B 2017. N2O emissions during microalgae outdoor cultivation in 50 L column photobioreactors. Algal Research. Volume 26. Pages 348-353.
- Plouviez M, Wheeler D, Shilton A, Packer MA and McLenachan PA, Sanz-Luque E, Ocaña-Calahorro F, Fernández E, Guieysse B 2017. The biosynthesis of nitrous oxide in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. The Plant Journal. Volume 91, Issue 1. Pages 45-56.
- Packer MA, Eaton-Rye JJ, Summerfield TC, Guieysse B and Wood SA 2017. Introduction: proceedings of the 2015 New Zealand symposium on algae and photosynthetic prokaryotes.
- Hasan K, Grippo V, Sperling E, Packer MA and Leech D, Gorton L 2017. Evaluation of photocurrent generation from different photosynthetic organisms. ChemElectroChem. Volume 4, Issue 2. Pages 412-417.
- Labro J, Craig T, Wood SA and Packer MA 2017. Demonstration of the use of a photosynthetic microbial fuel cell as an environmental biosensor. International Journal of Nanotechnology. Volume 14, Issue 1-6. Pages 213-225.
- Beuzenberg V, Goodwin E, Puddick J, Donato Romanazzi, Adams SL and Packer MA 2016. Optimising conditions for growth and xanthophyll production in continuous culture of Tisochrysis lutea using photobioreactor arrays and central composite design experiments. New Zealand Journal of Botany, DOI: 10.1080/0028825X.2016.1238398.
- Miller MR , Quek S-Y, Stähler K, Nalder T and Packer MA 2014. Changes in oil content, lipid class and fatty acid composition of the microalga Chaetoceros calcitrans over different phases of batch culture. Aquaculture Research. Volume 45. Issue 10.
- Eaton-Rye JJ, Packer MA, Summerfield TC and Wood SA 2014. Algal and cyanobacterial bioenergy and diversity: introduction. New Zealand Journal of Botany 52(1), 1-5.
- Beuzenberg V, Smith KF and Packer MA 2014. Isolation and characterisation of halo-tolerant Dunaliella strains from Lake Grassmere/Kapara Te Hau, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Botany 52(1), 136-152.
- Luimstra V, Kennedy SJ, Güttler J, Wood SA, Williams DE and Packer MA 2014. A cost-effective microbial fuel cell to detect and select for photosynthetic electrogenic activity in algae and cyanobacteria. Journal of Applied Phycology 26(1), 15-23 DOI: 10.1007/s10811-013-0051-2.
- Martineau E, Wood SA, Miller MR , Jungblut A, Hawes I, Webster-Brown J and Packer MA 2013. Morphological, molecular and biochemical characterisation of cyanobacteria isolated from Antarctica; comparison with New Zealand strains. Hydrobiologia, 711(1), 139-154.
- Esson D, Wood SA and Packer MA 2011. Harnessing the self-harvesting capability of benthic cyanobacteria for use in benthic photobioreactors. AMB Express. 2011. 1 19 .
- Packer MA and Beuzenberg V 2010. Supreme Biotechnologies technology for business growth report: data to support the development of a prototype-scale Haematococcus pluvialis Algal Farm.
- Packer MA 2010. Buffering the pH of cosmetic creams containing Biovert Enzymes Preservative System. Cawthron Report 1807. For Carol Priest Natural Cosmetics.
- Packer MA and Beuzenberg V 2009. Smart start report on isolation of Haematococcus pluvialis for Supreme Biotechnology Ltd. For Supreme Biotechnology Ltd.
- Packer MA 2009. Cryopreservation of Photonz Corporation algae.
- Packer MA 2009. Algal capture of carbon dioxide; biomass generation as a tool for greenhouse gas mitigation with reference to New Zealand energy strategy and policy. Energy Policy. 37 3428-3437.
- Packer MA, Hemish J, Mignone JL, John S, Pugach I and Enikolopov G 2005. Transgenic mice overexpressing nNOS in the adult nervous system. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 51(3):269-77.
- Packer MA, Stasiv Y, Benraiss A, Chmielnicki E, Grinberg A, Westphal H, Goldman SA and Enikolopov G 2003. Nitric oxide negatively regulates mammalian adult neurogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 100:9566-71.
- Packer MA 1994. Protoplast formation from single cells and small tissue fragments of wild Porphyra fronds (Rhodophyta). . Bot Mar 37. 2:101-108.